1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobias Classic 5 "NEW" lefty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Mar 27, 2006.

1. I have an opportunity to buy a new Gibson Tobias lefty classic 5 for a little over cost but I am reading past threads hear about new Tobias basses and they get ripped up pretty bad. I left the bass at the store to get set up but now I'm leery about it. The bass felt perfect and played smooth but it was buzzing (truss rods need tweaked) I didn't even plug it in because of the buzzing but with all Bart pickups and preamp how can this be bad. I will say I'm paying in the high 2Ks and it sells for 3400.00 usually. Someone ordered it and can't pay for it so I got an opportunity to get a great deal at least I think so. Any feedback ?????

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/index.htm

has a used one for $1799.

I have never played one, but new Tobias seem to get a bad reputation ever since Mike Tobias sold the company to Gibson.

They seem to be nice basses, though. The only thing a personally don't like is that I think they have narrow string spacing and the upper horn is kinda short.

I believe the resale value is pretty low, so unless you absolutely love the bass and intend keeping it for good, it may be hard to recup a decent % of your investment.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Most of the beating you read about the Tobias line seems to be centered on the newest incarnations that are a year or so old. Personally, I would avoid those things.

The Tobias that Brian has looks to me to be and older Gibson model judging by the knobs.

The Classic 5 that I own is close to the same serial # as Brians, coincidentally I also bought mine from Brian. He knows how to spot a good one. Mine is excellent in fit finish and sound. If you don't mind used, that one would be worth a good hard look.

IMOHO