Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Classic 5 - Pre Gibson for sale in UK!

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Bruce Lindfield, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't want to do this, but I need to fund purchase of a Double Bass - so I need the cash (no trades -sorry)!!

It was hand-made by Mike Tobias's team in the US, just before the operation was taken over by Gibson - serial no. 1274 .

I emailed Michael Tobias himself about this bass and here is his reply :

"Thanks for your email. 1274 is listed as a Classic 5. Zebra top, quilted maple body with a birdseye maple/purple heart neck. The fingerboard is likely pau ferro or morado (same wood, different names)....Bolivian rosewood. The original controls were vol/blend; t,m,b, with a bypass on the eq section....similar to active/passive but the batteries were needed for the unity gain buffer. I don't know what is in there now. If it has not been changed, the only odd thing was that when you turned up the mid range, the t and b levels went up also.

Your post says it has 2 volumes which is a simple mod and would not effect the description above. The bass was built towards the end of 1990 and is on the first year of Tobias being owned by Gibson, however, it was NOT built in
    Nashville and WAS built my original crew. You got a good one Enjoy it!

Michael Tobias
    760 Zena Highwoods Rd.
    Kingston, NY 12401 USA
    voice...1 845 246 0670
    fax......1 845 246 1670
    email: mike@mtdbass.com
    www.mtdbass.com

EDIT So the price is now : negotiable!

But don't forget, they aren't making these any more - see it as an investment - they are quite rare in Europe!

I will drive to anywhere (within reason) in the South of England if you are serious about this - or we can arrange shipping - but this will have to be extra.

Flight case included in price!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Photos are proving harder to track down than I anticipated, but I will get some soon !!

I have a bitmap on my hard drive - but I can't get it down to a small enough size to attach here! :confused:

If anybody wants it, PM your email address and I will send it to you.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thank god this is on the other side of the pond!!!!!!
    i have #474 (it's a four string). EVERY tobias made by mike i've ever played has been OUTSTANDING. I routinely get offered $2500 US for mine. Someone please buy this so i can sleep at night. :p
    Seriously, as a player and investment quality piece these are hard to beat

4. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003

Very true. There's not a day goes by that I don't miss my good old #1091. (Basic 6 Transparent Blue Quilt)
    Someone buy this now. PLEASE!

5. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi Bruce

Im in the market for a new bass at the minute- in fact im going down to London this weekend to have a look round the shops to see what is around.
    Could you post some specs- string spacing, scale length etc
    What kind of sound does it have? The MTDs that ive tried would probably be a bit too hi-fi (trebily) for me but then this isn't an MTD...

Although this is more than I was hopeing to spend I might be tempted if was the best bass that I have ever played!
    cheers

Philip

6. Bruce Lindfield

34" Scale length
    String spacing is sort of medium - not as wide as my Lakland or Roscoe Beck - the assymetrical neck makes it very comfortable and fast to play.

The sound to me is not trebly - very strong emphasis on mids though - typical bartolini sound - I would describe it as Jazz bass on steroids!! ;)

7. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    I would describe the mid to high end as smooth, sweet and even. It's in a class by itself especially if the signal is fed into a really nice (High end) amp rig.

Phillip:
    I'd skip the London shops and arrange a tentative commitment to buy this as soon as possible.
    (They ARE that rare and they don't make them like this anymore) When you see it and play it you'll inderstand. ;)

8. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yeah- on the bass gallery website there isn't anything that grabs my attention- there is a tobias 4 but for the price i would presume its pre-gibson...

I love tht middy Smith sound so if its anything like that i would certainly be interested-.

Bruce excuse my ignorance of English geography- how far is it from London to Brighton? What would be he best way to arrange a trial if you were fre his weekend?
    cheers

Philip

9. Bruce Lindfield

London's not far by train and I come up to my office quite often - I will be there on Thursday, but on Saturday I have Jazz class in the morning and will be watching Brighton play Leed United in the afternoon!! :)

I'm not sure how to arrange a trial - although I suppose we could say to the Gallery or Bass Centre that we are interested in certain amps and want to try this particular bass through them....:meh:

10. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I will be down on Friday afternoon til Sunday evening- Would Saturday be any good at all? The bass gallery are usually pretty good about leaving you alone to try what you want so that might be a good option- come to think of it I do want to try some amps as well...

Does it look anything like this bass?
    http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/tobias_classic_5_1340.htm

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Bruce will giev you the real goods on the neck, but all the pre gibson Tobais basses I've played were not very wide. Medium, like Bruce said. As Bruce also mentioned, the asymetrical neck profile makes them VERY comfortabel to play.
    If i were in England I'd at least come over to Bruce's place and lick it. :p

12. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    For what it's worth my #1091 also had 2 volumes instead of volume/pan. Great stuff!!! If it had one more string I'd have it shipped to the states.

13. Bruce Lindfield

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bruce, if this buyer doesn't work out, you can always try eBay.

:bag:

;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Nah - that would be immoral IMO ;) - my plan is to sell it via one of the London shops, if a TB'er doesn't buy it - it will then be a higher price of course.

I think I would always give my business to good bass shops, to help keep them open and providing the great service that we all really need!

I think if eBay causes a situation where shops are forced to close down, we will all be losing a tremendous resource and it will be a very depressing state of affairs for bass players/musicians! :meh:

16. Bruce Lindfield

This is now on sale in the Bass Centre in London, if anybody wants to try it?

17. Bruce Lindfield

As this still hasn't sold - I am making one last concession, as I really want to buy a DB - so the price is down to :

£1649

I'm making a loss on what I paid (£1700) - so you will be getting a bargain and a unique item! :)

18. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Bruce, have you sold this yet, it looks like this would be
    2,017.05$ in the usa, do you have pics of this bass as well as the sn#

Thanks

19. Bruce Lindfield

I put the serial number in the original post, along with the email I got from Michael Tobias about this.

I do have pictures, but they don't do it justice - they have taken on an 'orangey' tint and I can't get them to a small enough size to attach...:meh:

I can email them if you're really interested - as I also said in a previous post!!

20. Don't wanna spoil the fun here but £1649 is USD 3029... I think you thought it was Euro..