Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Classic 5 : what you think ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kridrazil, Dec 12, 2002.

1. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Hi,

I found an owned Tobias Classic 5, made in 2000 so after Gibson bought Tobias.

Last time I spoke about a Noguera or a Sadowsky 5 strings, Noguera is not a bass for me so I forgot it.

Now here is my final choice :
    - Tobias Classic 5
    - Sadowsky Standard 5

I tried to search some infos about the Tobias Classic 5 on internet but I didn't found a lot of things.
    I am not very familiar with the Tobias Classic bass sound.

What you think about the Tobias Classic 5 strings bass ??
    tone, versatile, comfort of playing, quality ... ??

The best will be to try both bass : Sadowsky and Tobias but the big problem is that they are in different city and far away from my home.
    Price of each bass : 1800 $

What will be your choice and why ??

I am after a versatile bass who could fit a lot of music styles.

I just try to get different opinion from people who owned one of this 2 bass in order to have a better idea of those basses : all comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. i owned a classic 5 fretless a long time ago. it had a nice warm, woody type of fretless tone. if you're looking to play lots of different types of music and you want a bass that will sound great in all of them, get the sadowsky. i thought my classic 5 was best in jazz settings.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    A Sadowsky for $1800 is a better deal than a Tobias Classic 5 for $1800 but....

I friggin' LOVE my Classic 5.

Regardless of what people say about Gibson era Tobias' not being the "real thing", it's still a no excuses needed all pro axe.

The classic's with the alder backs are capable of very old school tones as well as great jazz tones.

The late model Bartolini 18v. preamps with three way mid select and pull-on slap contour are just incredible in what they can do.

I paid $1800 for mine and haven't regretted it for a second.

I've played Sadowskys and they're as good as everyone says but I wouldn't trade my Classic for one at any price.

You can always get another Sadowsky but there ain't no more Tobias and they're getting harder to find every day...