Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Classic TONE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Jan 21, 2002.

1. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hi all,

There's a guy in a town near mine triyng to sell a Tobias Classic Five string with maple body finishing for about U$1500, maybe less. I didnt see the bass.

It was bought new in 1998, so it must be a Gibson, I know all that thing.

So here is my question: I've done a lot of search here and found nothing about the tonal caracteristics of this Tobias. What does it sound like ?? And what would it sound in comparison (sp?) to a Warwick, maybe Corvette Pro-Line, or to a MusicMan??? What about live/studio situations?

I don't play in a noisy band, but I do a lot of funk stuff and I know a MM would be great. But I guess the Tobias is a better bass for soloing and smooth jazz... :confused:

Thanks in advance, hope somebody here can help me!

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thanks for your answer man, nice info at that site, but when I posted this thread I wanted to know from people who own(ed) a Tobias Classic some information about the tone of their basses and how would it compare to other popular instrumens (mainly WW and MM five strings).

Tobias owners, come alive!!! :)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I own pre-Gibson Tobiases. It's hard to say what a Gibson era bass would sound like, they varied greatly.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I have a Gibson era Classic 5, quilt maple top walnut back with a wenge tone plate and I like what it sounds like. It's more flexible than the Ken Smith that I have and has a rounder sound than the Fodera that I have. In the end you're going to have to play it and see if you like it, and if you do $1500 is a very good deal for a instrument of that quality.

5. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Yeah thank you guys. I think I'll have to take a look and play that bass... I was triyng to avoid that... :D

Phil, according to your description, your bass is identical!

PS - just to share: Yesterday I played a T. Renegade 5 and hated it!! Low quality instrument. Does not compare to a good MIM jazz bass.

6. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    The same here, 3 times the price. The guy was asking about U$1100 used. So when I say "low quality" I mean low for the price... I had a Ibanez SR-1200 4 string that coincidently was selling again in the same store yesterday. I plugged it in after the Renegade and wow! What a funky instrument, for less than half the price! Almost bought it back... :(

Well, here in my country there isn't a consistent market... so you see some strange things happening...

But let's try to keep the topic - Tobias Classic!!! Any other classic owner here??

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - I've got a pre-Gibson Classic 5 which is mostly maple and the tone is wonderful - but as Brad says, the later ones can be variable.

I don't think it will sound anything like a Warwick - I've tried quite few of these and they are very different.

To my ears, the typical Tobias sound is like a "super" Jazz bass - it's like the best of the Fender J sound but even better! Most of my favourite sounds on records are Fender J and I was always searching for a bass that could get this sound - when I found my Tobias it was like -YES, this is the sound - but it never really happened with the Fenders I've had.

8. i owned a classic 5 back in the mid 90's or so. it had an alder body, wenge tone plate, and a bubinga top. i believe the fretboard was pao ferro or something like that, not sure. i eventually converted it into a lined fretless which sounded great. i found that this bass was very live sounding while mainting a strong low mid character. the low mids were taut and punchy actually, different than a maple bass might produce. it had richness to its sound, played great, and sounded great in passive as well.

9. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    OK...I own over 100 basses (mostly collect and play around the house, as my real job doesn't afford me much chance to play out) and I must say, that of them all, my Tobias Classic 5 (Gibson era) is one of my two favorites of them all (the other is my Warwick Fortress 5). The two of these instruments sound totally different from each other, and different from any others in my collection.