Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Classic4 vs G&L L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJSBASS, Sep 2, 2005.

1. RJSBASS

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    Which is the better overall bass?

2. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    I have never even touched a Tobias, but I can tell you that the GL is versatile as a drunken elephant. (in other words, very versatile and good sounding)

3. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    A classic Tobias has the wenge middle and 2 other woods on top and bottom. Its a very expensive and great sounding bass. If you have a choice i would go with the tobias esspecially if its a pre gibson. Grab it now if it is. :eek:

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You can't make judgements about "best" based on other people's opinions. You can only do this for yourself, by playing both and deciding which works "best" for YOU.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have always been pleased with all of the G&L's that I have played, and the L2000 is, indeed, a very versatile bass.

But, I really feel that those early Tobias' made my Mike's own crew are truly something special. I have a Basic 5, and it's a dream to play, and fairly versatile, itself.

Tom.

6. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have a basic 6, and have played a classic 6 as well. The classic, which was #850 was a charm to play. The fretboard was quite small. A four - that must have been rare. I would definately jump on it if I have the chance, but that would be my choice. It all depends on what fits your style.

7. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I do agree that it has to be what your ears holds to be the better. But I just think the Classic Tobias sounds so nice. Also the resale value would be greater also. Now im not saying you will sell it but the value of the classic will be better than a G&L.
    Reason. The classic were hand made.

8. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Also note, on the classics, the cover on the back for the electronics, battery, and truss rod covers are all wood to match. =)