Tobias Gibson

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadBass, Aug 15, 2005.

1. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    I have recently been looking into a new bass and have been checking out the Toby Pro 6. There is a full range of Toby Pro's in the academy of sound where i played a Pro 6. But, i checked out the website, and there is no Toby Pro's on there and the specs are all completely different?
    Have the Toby pro series basses been discontinued or something or am I missing something??? :help:

Thanks!! :bassist:
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Toby Pro's were foreign made instruments and were sold exclusively through Last I heard they were working a deal with Guitar Center and MF... but I'm not too sure this holds water.
  3. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    They were definately foreign ones anyway as they said 'made in korea' on the back! but i am just curious why there isnt any of the pro series on the website?
  4. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Is the Toby Pro 6 the equivalent of the Tobias Basic then??? where has the toby pro 6 gone or has it been discontinued????
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

None of the Toby line even came close to resembling the "original" Tobias models: the Basic, Classic, and Signature models.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Even add to that the Killer-B and original Growler/Renagade. While Gibson's QC was iffy, they still had their moments to shine.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I bought a Toby Deluxe in 2000. It's the bolt on version of the Pro w/ jazz pickups. Damn nice bass for the money! Although the pre is weak, I just plug into the passive input on my amps! No problem. Granted, it's not a real Tobias, it's a pretty well made instrument and the only complaints I've ever heard or read have been about the pre!
  9. BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Are the newer Tobias Gibson Basses any better then...Basic, signature etc. ???
    What sort of a price are they GBP???
  10. Thombass

Thombass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Yes the Tobias Gibson are better basses. Now the Toby are are discontinued because the "real" Tobias Gibson production started again. More info here
  11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Played a Toby Pro in an Academy Of Sound (now Sound Control), felt shoddy, didn't take to the sound that much either, weak is how I'd describe it. Other basses within the price range kicked it into touch.