Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tobias growler 4 string for 499? jpn p bass for 599?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chi42069, Apr 28, 2005.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    I was at my local music shop today and checked out a tobias growler. I loved the all natural wood finish that it had. Plugged it in and wasn't sure what was going on. There was no bass, just sounded quiet with some distortion. I wasn't too familar with the switches though. Must of been a dead battery? As much as i loved the look and the light weight, the neck seem very slow. I think it was also very natural wood feeling. but they had it going for $499, seems like a good price.

Next, i plugged in a japan P bass with emg pickup. As soon as i hit a note, it was loud and very boomy. Very nice sound too it. Again, i wasn't used to the neck and it slowed me down quite a bit. The price on that was 599 which seemed high to me.

Just wanted to see if anyone here has had experiences with either of these basses. Do these prices seem reasonable? Right now i'm fairly happy with my Rockbass as i'm so used to its good playability but i'm not sure if i really like its sound. I wanted to see what else was out there.

peace

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Sounds like something odd was going on with the Growler. I owned a 5 string that I used as a backup bass and I really enjoyed it. Nice snarly mids. The problem with these is the quality control. Mine had some crapy workmanship, but nothing that really bothered.

The p does seem a little steep to me, but I'm also in the middle of the country and things never bring as much here as they do on either of the coasts.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    agreed with Mr. Turtle. if the growler is a good one (and pretty good ones do exist), that price is good...but it sounds like it could be off, and i'd make sure it sounds and feels good before buying it. I like MIJ Fenders, but that one sounds steep to me.

Marshall