Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Growler 5 String: Any Interest?

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by FrolicHoek, Jul 2, 2002.

1. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I have a Tobias Growler 5 String that I purchased used a few months back. It is a beautiful instrument, but I have one problem, that being active pickups. If I knew more about electronics and wiring of guitars, I would have this thing licked, but I don't.

I bought it for $900, and would sell it for $750 (plus shipping). For someone with experience in fixing guitars, this would be a steal. It comes with a hardshell case.

Like I said, it is a gorgeous instrument, and I regret getting rid of it, but I just need to go back to passive. Any interest from anyone? I can email pics if you want.

Here is a pic I have of me playing it on stage, so you can see what it looks like:
    .[​IMG]
    Let me know if you are interested. Thanks

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ummmm....that's not a Growler. I suspect that it's a Toby Pro 5.

The Growler has the MusicMan style, quad-coil pickup.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    *rainman voice on*

not a growler. definitely not a growler.

*rainman voice off*

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Smells a little -fishy-

5. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    How does it smell fishy? So I made a mistake in identifying it...big deal.

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If you paid $900 for a Toby Pro, that's fishy! They sell for $599 new.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Mis-identificationis a big deal. There is a HUGE difference between Growler and a Toby Pro. The fact is that had one of the members with less exposure to Tobias products had purchased what he/she thought to be a great price on a Growler and didnt get it, there may have been some serious issues. If this was an honest mistake:rolleyes: , then be thankful that the bloodhounds here caught it. If it was not, let this be a warning shot to you.

Mike

8. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    When did they start making Toby Pros? Do they actually say "Toby" on them, or do they still say "Tobias"? Mine says Tobias on it, but I guess I am showing a little bit of naivete here on my knowledge of instruments.

Also, let me say that I am not trying to be underhanded here, which is what I think was implied on the previous post, claiming that this was fishy.

I appreciate you guys trying to educate me, though.

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Tobys have been in production for some time, at least several years. It says "tobias" on the headstock. Do you have any idea where the bass was made? Is there a sticker or anything?

10. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I recall looking at the serial number, and going to Gibson's website and finding out it was made in 94, if I remember correctly (the bass is at home, I can look at it tonight).

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My Toby Pro 5 has "Made in Korea" stamped on the back of the headstock, along with the serial number. I haven't seen any of the Tobys come with a hardshell case though.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

To me that looks exactly like a Toby. What does it say on the p-ups??? What does it say on the tuners??

Look at the knobs. The killer b, the bassic 4 0r 5, and the classic series has 5 knobs and some extra switches.

His has 4 knobs like the Tobys.

The Tobys say Tobias on them.

Either he got screwed buying it(maybe e-bay??) or he's is being dishonest. Im not deciding which it is, either way Im almost 95% sure its a Toby

13. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Then I guess I got screwed.:(

Yeah, I got it on Ebay.

The pickups say Bartolini on them (It has worn off, but you can still see them).

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Barts and a hardshell case are not typical of a Toby. Barts are much better than the Tobias pickups. Maybe you didn't get screwed too bad. It does look like a Toby though; perhaps upgraded with the Barts and HS case?

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thats what Im thinking. The tobys had spector, and I think Tobias, and others where blank on the p-ups.

It sounds like a slightly upgraded Toby. The weak spot in the bass was the preamp more than the p-ups.

16. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    If I could get the darn thing to do what it needs to do, I will keep this bass forever. It plays beautifully, it sounds great, it is light, manuverable, everything I have ever wanted. But it burns through batteries in a couple of days, like the connection isn't being broken somewhere in the wiring. I don't have much of a problem using active, but I won't buy another active bass, to be sure.

As a side note, do any of you know how much it might cost me to have this problem looked at (or at least how much it should cost me as to not get taken)?

17. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Do you keep a cord jack in it all the time. My Musicman is "ON" when I have the cord plugged in. I'm not real familar with Toby's but perhaps this is the same situation.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Unless you have a passive/active switch, this is the way all active basses work. Just unplug your bass when you're not playing it.

19. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I know I said I was naive, but not quite that naive!:)

That is the main problem, is that it uses the battery even when it is unplugged. If we play a show on Friday, I put a new batter in an hour before we go on stage, and it is dead by Saturday night.

20. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Take it to a repairman. It shouldn't cost more than $35 or $40 to have it taken care of. It's a very common problem.