1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRADED Tobias Growler 5-string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by EdwardofHuncote, Jan 15, 2019.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Price:
    $750
    Strings:
    This is a Tobias GR-5 "Growler" made around 1995-96 under Gibson ownership in Nashville, Tennessee.

It's a 5-string, ash body, maple/purpleheart neck, 34" scale, pau ferro (I think) fingerboard. Measures 1.75" at the nut, 19mm spacing at the bridge.

Light, ergonomic, excellent balance. It has the asymmetrical neck people tend to either like or hate. 18v dual preamp.

Very light play wear, hard to see on satiny oil finish. Strung with fresher rounds. (Marcus Miller?) Comes with a nicer Access gigbag. Also the truss rod adjustment tool... it'll be in the case pocket. Everything works great, and it plays nice.

*edit- (adding a forgotten detail) the lower strap button was relocated approximately 2" upward at some point. Rather than plugging the hole of the original location, it has a mounting screw, installed, and covered by a felt grommet. (see picture)

I wouldn't really know what to compare the sound to... these things are kind of in a category of their own. Anyway, It's been a faithful backup/rainy-day bass for the past few years. Time to let it go.

$750 shipped in the U.S. of A. only. I accept PayPal, address confirmed.

Please PM trade offers or questions.

Trade interests at this time are limited to a Mesa D-800, or a Quilter BB-800, any other comparable Class D amp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    nbsipics likes this.
  2. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    If you're interested, here's some more info...

This particular one is a first generation model, with each half of the Bartolini quad-coil pickup functioning independently, separate volumes, tone, and mid-range contour switches for each side. Later models had a Volume/Pan setup. Eventually the contour switches went away too. Mine also has an odd perk... it came with a push-pull volume pot that switches the output to stereo. From what I understand, only a few came this way... I found an explanation for this in the Club thread, as described by the guy who designed the Growler, beginning with post #182 here:

Official Tobias Growler club

The Nameless likes this.
  3. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    That will make a crazy good bass for someone at a great price. GLWTS

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  4. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Trade Deal in-progress... :hyper:

5. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Boy - THAT one lasted a long time :)

6. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    The TalkBass classifieds are an amazing place... another TB'r had exactly what I was looking for, and it turned out I had what they were looking for.

:hyper: FTW.

nbsipics likes this.
  7. Alberto giles

Alberto giles

Jun 9, 2017
    Still available?

8. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Traded, per thread heading. ;)