1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available Tobias Growler 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by steelbed45, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Price:
    $600
    Strings:
    Natural with ash body. Maple neck that has been lightly sanded on the back and pau ferro fb. 8 lbs. 6 ozs. on my kitchen scale.

Lane Poor MM-style pickup and 2Tek bridge. 16.5mm spacing.

Aguilar OPM-3 preamp - active/passive switch, 400/800hz mid selector, v/t/b/m.

Asking price is shipped CONUS. No case, but will be packed well. Paypal only, please. Tobias Full Body.
    Tobias F Body.
    Tobias B Cavity Flash.

G RICH 5 and fivestringdan like this.
  2. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Dec 19, 2006
    So, did you change the existing pots, and switches?

3. steelbed45

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Yes, this preamp was prewired by the fine folks at best bass gear. All I had to do was wire in the original jack and pickup.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  4. Wow. A Franken Growler. Tone? Upgrades added weight. Lane poor, 2tek. Curious.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  5. steelbed45

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    This was the response I received here from TB member Moonshine - "I could be totally wrong but I think I remember there being a couple of 2TEK bridges around when I worked at Tobias during this time... the Lane Poor pickup as well (I'm more sure about 2TEK than the Lane Poor)...The bridge could possibly be OEM."

I tried weighing it the other day while holding it up. Here's the weight with the bass laying flat on the scale.
    Growler Weight.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  6. steelbed45

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I was asked if there were any problems with the: 1. Neck, 2. Trussrod, and 3. Electronics

1. The neck is stable and set with enough relief. I have it set up fairly low - it can go lower.
    Here's the relief at the 7th fret.

Tobias action.
    2. Trussrod - it will turn, but I haven't had to move it more than an 1/8th of a turn, since the neck is pretty much set.

Tobias Truss.

3. Electronics - The Aguilar OBP-3 is wired 18v and has serious cut and boost behind it - but when set to flat, it also has unity gain with the passive switch.

If you've never played a Lane Poor, they have a lower output, so you may need to adjust the height accordingly to your taste.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  7. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    Dammit, I never understood why 2Tek, decided to go with such a narrow string-spacing. If the string-spacing was further apart, I'd jump on this, just because of the odd parts.

8. So.... neck is straight.... no issues? Frets? Are you the original owner? Seriously Considering. Love Barts... so torn. I play a swamp Tobias Killer B 5 (see my profile pic). This may be a fun compliment.

9. steelbed45

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    The bass plays effortlessly. The neck is straight, the frets have smooth, rolled edges and the sanded neck is silky smooth.

Even though the narrow spacing is driving me nuts, I think I'll just hold onto it. Thanks for the questions!