Tobias Growler? Need info!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I know they were made by Gibson in the US, but I need to know what anyone can say baout their quality. I am considering trading my Knilling upright for one, and I need to make sure this isn't a dog! I have heard some good, but others seemed cautious about their lack of ruggedness. I am sure the sound quality is there w/ the 18volt Bart quad PUP, If you have any knowledge, please respond.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I've lusted after these for some time. They always seem
    to show up at BNW when I'm outta' $$$ (like now)... Basses/tobias_growler_4_st_fretless_ash.htm

It's supposed to be ultra-versatile, with the mid-switches, quad pup, etc.
    While maybe not as versatile (but much more rugged) there's the EB Stingray.

[Edited by notduane on 01-08-2001 at 10:10 PM]
  3. In a review, BP mag stated that the Growler was good for jazz, RnB, and other such styles, but it lacked the "oomph" for a rock band.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    In my opinion, the quality of these instruments can best be described as inconsistent. I've seen and played a couple that featured very poor neck and fretwork; certainly subpar for an instrument around $800. The electronics, while versatile, weren't exactly pleasant sounding throughout their entire range; most likely you'll be sticking to one or two settings. If you can't audition it before purchase, I'd proceed with caution.
  5. I own one, and it is my main axe, even though I am exclusively a rock player at this point.

On the plus side, they look real nice, have an easy-playing neck, and are pretty durable (at least mine is)

On the down side, the model I have is active electronics, all-the-time. I rarely change strings because it is too bright sounding for rock when I put new ones on. As a pretty aggressive player. I also got a really clicky sound when I played normally. When it worked, it sounded a lot like Entwistle on "Live At Leeds." When it didn't...

If you are a rock player, I'd avoid getting one. I'm thinking of getting a new axe because, as much as I love the Growler and it looks great and it plays beautifully, it is simply not a rock bass.
  6. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks guys, thats the kinda info I am looking for, I need a good studio bass, and i think this could be it, just am a little hesitant having never played one. I am not a rocker and play mostly jazz and rnb so the sound should be up my ally. We shall see. BTW, I have been posting here for over 6-8 months, when do I cease being refered to as a NEW MEMBER?
  7. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    It says you registered in August 2000. You are no longer a new member after 30 posts.
  8. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    oh thanks, hey well theres another one. I guess I have just been too quiet. Less readin, more tlakin.