Tobias Growler or Renegade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zebbie, Jan 25, 2004.

1. zebbie

Oct 30, 2003
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting a new bass after ruining the neck on my warwick and these 2 basses come to mind. There's really no way for me to try these out as the stores around here don't carry them.

What are the differences in tone, construction, used price etc. between these 2 basses?

Anything you can tell me about these basses would really be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I believe at least the early production of the Growler bass was pre-Gibson, which is a good thing and I believe the Renegade isa Gibson era product. The growler has the single triple coil MM pickup with toggle switches for different coil options. I would get a Growler if I had to choose.
  3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I never tried the Renegade, but I did have a Growler. The Growler I had was a Gibson made Tobias. I don't know if some early ones were Pre-Gib, but most likely if you find a used one, its probably a Gibson Era. The "new" Growlers are a different animal IMO as the electronics aren't the same.

Anyway, the Growler I had was HORRIBLE. I bought it used from Bass NW. The fret job was the worst I've seen in my life. Some frets were completely dead and all the frets had to be leveled. Even after a fret leveling the neck still just wasn't right. The neck wasn't stable at all. It would go into severe backbow with the strings off. My tech had it for 2 months and couldn't get it to behave, so I had to get rid of it.

The bass WAS comfortable. I loved the rough wood feeling of the body, and the asymetrical neck was great. The tone was great too, but of course the new Growlers don't have the same electronics, which sucks.

I'd avoid the Growler, but thats just me. Plenty of people who have one, haven't had problems.
  4. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Heed Tobias4's advice and at least avoid the Gibson era stuff. Bad quality control. The early Growlers are nice basses. Do some research as to the years which would constitute Gibson and pre-GIbson era and make your choice accordingly. Try both and see what you think.
  5. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Wow! How did you ruin the neck? I've seen a picture of a man standing on Warwick wenge neck and the neck wasn't even bent. :)
  6. yea what happened?
  7. I have a Renergade 5 string. I love it. My favorite among all my basses for comfort. It's very light. It sounds great with a small preamp. I use a Fishman two band to boost th elow end as by itself it's lacking in that area. A real surprise with the Bartillinis (opps spelling) on it. The neck was a bit twisted when I got it. But I took it to a Luthier that did a fret job and worked some magic. It fantastic now!