Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Growler Pickup Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matteran, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hey, I've had a tobias growler for a while, and love it. But I have always wondered what the two three-way switches do technically. I know how different configurations affect the tone, but what is happening in the physical world? I'm assuming one switch controls coils 1 and 2, and the other controls coils 3 and 4.

Also, are there ways to emulate j-bass or p-bass tones with different coil configurations?

2. My understanding is that the switches are basically mid-contour controls, with something like boost/flat/cut settings--they don't make an "physical" changes like series/parallel switching or anything.

They work on the front and back halves of the pickup, same as the two EQs do. I've played a few Growlers, and owned a Zon Sonus Studio which used the same Bart preamp but with two separate pickups rather than two pickups in a single casing like the Growler has, but it did give me a pretty good idea how the controls functioned.

Mike

3. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    okay, so it's just an experiment thing? Because i know what the switches do to the sound, i was just wondering if anything happened physically or something.

Thanks.

4. I've seen the descriptions of what the preamp is supposed to do, so no, it's not just an experiment thing. They're midrange contour switches, so they're strictly EQ and don't do anything "physically".

Mike

5. Busted Warwick

Busted Warwick

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey, as far as I can tell you, I have been on the same hunt for a year now. The switches are bottom-normal, middle-mid-boost, top-bass-boost. That I got from a 1996 copy of Bass Player. You've really got to play around with every setting on that bass. I just stuck with what I liked the best. You can get this really thin tone like a cool Jaco tone by panning your p/u just a slight bit to the bridge side, leave both switches down, the bass on both concentric potentiometers pretty high and the treble heavier on the bridge and the treble just above unity at the neck side of the house. Then, pop the neck switch to the top and it's great for slap. Then I use the bridge to the top and the neck to the bottom with the switches to harmonically tune. Basically, all of what I do is with the total of fifteen total possible switch combinations. I spent about a week doing this. Other than that, I am awaiting information from Gibson.com, I had read somewhere that they can provide history about Gibson made Tobias. While I have heard good and bad things about this bass, it is so easy to get the most of this bass. I have been using mine for a year now and I use it all of the time to do so many different styles. Right now, I am trying to find the exact electronics so I can find out what the four potentiometers on the back can be set to (what freqs) just out of curiosity. I have an 18V preamp as well. Just one quad-coil, and the standard knob config. What I also want to try to do is take an old pot (25K) and figure a pre-amp bypass for this thing. I came across a bartolini wiring diagram somewhere that explained how to do it. I've just got to get back to it since I just decided to do this today since I now have a left over pot from another bass mod, a coil-tap on my jazz bass.