Tobias Growler Price Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Aug 6, 2002.

1. I have been looking for a 4-string for some time now and there is a Tobias Growler n my favorite shop.

Its been marked down to about $950. Just wanted to know if that sounds about right, as the thing has been on the wall for well over a year (maybe more for all I know).
    Its a new guitar, not used.

I played it yesterday, and it really sounds nice, the Bart pickup is nice. I found I can get a tone of different tones out of it. Is this a quad-coil pickup? I have no experience with larger MM style pickups, but figured that was what the toggles were for. Beautiful natural finish and a great neck.

Also, was Tobias (the company) sold at some point? I know the current MTD's are Tobias', but I'm unsure of the whole musicyo thing.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That price seems to be in the ballpark, but in my opinion (and it's just an opinion, mind you), there's something really unsound about 'Post Michael Tobias' Tobiases (He sold the operation to Gibson* in the 1990s). Even more than Fenders, since Leo Fender was never a Luthier to begin with.

SInce you have $950 to spend and you want a 4 string with an MM pickup, why not look into the Music Man basses?

I'll say this for the Growler, it's pretty lightweight.

I hope this helps somewhat.

*Where bass companies go to die.
  3. Who said I had the money? :)

I'm just on an extended shopping trip, checking out all the options.

I dont like Music Mans.

thanks for the company info ... I didnt realize it had been sold so long ago.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just how many companies has Gibson killed in it's hurry to make more Les Pauls?
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

(Although they're starting to make 'em out of the composite bodies again. I'll believe it when I see it)

Trace Elliot

Is three enough?
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    What about Kramer? Didn't they slay them too?
    I wouldn't pay $950 for a Growler, not when you can find them all over the web for about $799. I agree with the MM statement.