Tobias Growler / Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Natural Vibes, Mar 7, 2004.

Which bass should I choose?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2004.
  1. Tobias Growler

8 vote(s)
  2. Musicman Stingray 5

29 vote(s)
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
  1. Natural Vibes

Natural Vibes

Jan 6, 2004
    Hello fellow TB'ers,
    I am still saving up for a new bass, but have narrowed it down (as of now) between the Tobias Growler and the Musicman Stingray 5. I play mostly aggresive music (ex: early Red Hot Chili Peppers), and need a bass with a good slap sound as well as having a punchy fingerstyle. The low B doesn't matter that much to me, but I figured it would be good to have just in case. Also, cutting through the guitarist isn't a big deal since we just play casually and don't have gigantic amps or anything.
    And for personal reasons I don't really like the modulus flea5, so that option is sort of out.
    Thanks again, and any suggestions/alternatives would be appreciated :bassist:
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    my very first love was a tobias growler. used to keep going back to my local music store to play it. i don't believe they ever sold it. it hung in there, literally, for years and years. the price kept dropping also, last i saw of it i think they wanted a little over 800. my belief is that people bought it and kept on returning it for one reason or another. what i loved about it was the weight, the way neck felt, the way it looked, and the versatility. what i didn't like about it was the fact that several people told me that the bass had no bottom and didn't cut through the mix. at the time i was obsessing on it i also wanted a really DEEP sounding bass, and i wound up buying a warwick corvette. it was REALLY DEEP sounding but also weighed a ton. it also didn't get anything like the chili pepper sound I too was looking for. still reluctant to get a growler i bought a MM sterling. i love it, it's pretty much the only bass i use now. do i regret never getting a growler? sometimes. i think i would have liked it over the warwick, but not over the MM. i may still one day get one - the bongo bass comes first though. HEY - have you checked one of those out????? they nail the chili pepper MM sound, plus i think any sound a growler can put out, PLUS a ton more bottom. if you don't mind the way they look (I love the way they look) i think you should definitely check one out. they're more versatile than the other 2 your looking for, and way more unique.

last note on the growler just to further confuse you. i saw a great cover band a few years back, with a phenomenal bass player using a growler 5 string. he cut through the mix wonderfully, sounded great, and kinda put a lot of the "thin" sounding rumors i had heard to shame. i spoke to him, he said he never had any problems with the bass, and also said he was currently richie blackmore's touring bassist - for whatever that's worth. i never checked out blackmores website to see if there were any pics of that guy with a growler. i'm bored. i think i just may do this now.

i hope this post was of some help - but after reading it back my guess is it will only add to your indecision. :) happy to be of service.
  3. Natural Vibes

Natural Vibes

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks Joe and Maxoges, your posts were really helpful. I think I'd definately have to check out both these basses in person before making a decision. The Bongo sounds like a cool bass but the looks are sort of unappealing...
    Joe I checked out your website and the bass you're playing (Sterling?) sounds awesome! Keep up the good music :)
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Then you need a Stingray 5. I have always heard about the Growler isn´t a good bass for rock, because it can´t compete against distorted guitars.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bassist for 36 Crazyfists uses one in a rock band. Seems to sound good to me.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You'd be doing yourself a dis-service if you didn't try a Lakland 55-02. I have two of them. I used to play a Stingary, and I like the Lakland a lot better. Much more versatile and it is better constructed. I think the scale is longer, the sound more versatile, the string spacing perfect (wide, the way I like it). So try one out.
  7. Natural Vibes

Natural Vibes

Jan 6, 2004
    I've heard many good things about the 55-02 too, but I've also heard that the sound lacks the type of presence that the Stingray has. How would you say the sound compares to it?
  8. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I played a Growler for a year and the only thing that i didn't like about it at the time was that it didn't have the output that my SR5 had however I basically fix that problem by just running it thru my EB volume pedal.
    With that being said I like it a lot better than my SR5 because it had more versatile tones verses the SR5.But I think thr SR5 would be a better bass suited to the style of music that you're playing IMO.
  9. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The Lakland Skyline model is NOT as aggressive as the Stingray. You want aggression, you don't want a Bart-equipped Skyline.

Been there, done that, playing a Bongo now.
  10. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I agree that the lakland wouldn't be the way to go.
  11. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    my five has the ash body and is far from being a one trick pony. i personally believe that the rays sound much better with the ash body. the fit and finish was GREAT right out of the box. stingrays seem to go in and out of fashion. I love mine. Looked at a warwick thumb 5, lakland 5, pedulla 5, and a peavey 5. all great but the ray seemed better built and had more punch on the B. have had no issues with the ax in two years i have had it.
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  13. In my opinion, the Tobias Growler looks better and feels better. although it is not as suited for rock as the stingray, it is more present in the high end. It is not as agressive sounding as the SR, but it has a more woody, earthy, open tone. Because the low end rumbles more than it booms, it is rounder.

The Growler is like a Hi-fi, sports Stingray. It is a totally different animal and can play anything, just like its brother. Although not as widely renowned as the MM/SR, By ear it is recognized as an MM type bass.

The Growler has a lovely weight and shape.

Its just another bass.
    One of mine, however.

Its all wood and wire to me.