Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Growler - What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Found a Growler for $700, seems to be lower than I remember. What's it worth? Ballpark?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can't recall what the fours went for, but the five strings were right about $900, or $750. Both of those numbers jumped out at me when I thought "Growler price."

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, so probably not worth jumping on being this far in debt.

If anyone's looking, it's Craigslist NYC

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I looked at the pic, and it's one of the "good" ones (the older ones with the dip switches). 700 is a good price if it's excellent like he says, but definitley not a "GET IT NOW BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES!" price. I heard a guy locally play on the 5 string version of that bass and have been GAS'n for one ever since. Sounded great, and I'm pretty sure they play great, too.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had one a few years ago that I bought for that price. Do you have a chance to play it first? I bought mine sight unseen and the fret job was horrible, and the neck was about as stable as a wet napkin. After a full fret job on this thing, it still wouldn't settle, and would always go into severe backbow. Finally I traded it.

It was comfortable and had a ton of tones for a one pickup bass (+1 about making sure it's one of the old models with the stacked knobs and switches..I don't know why they changed that..) If it had a better neck I definately would've kept it.