Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Growler

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimaera1982, Nov 20, 2004.

1. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Hi guys am in the midst of a deal to buy n bring this bass blindly from stateside to singapore. Am getting it 2nd hand at a 300 ish from a fellow TBers. There are some scratches on the bass, mainly on the body n headstock. Its natural wood in colour. I played the growler 5 before once n i liked the feel n the lightness of the bass, but i really cant get used to the low B, n i wanted to get the 4.
    Before i played the growler i was more or less set on a spector, the euro but its also very difficult to get here in singapore. Then i tried the growler in my opinion it had a more punchy tone, mabbe coz of the quad coil pickups. Am more of a rock-blues fingerstyle player. N i want a light, slim n good sounding bass.
    Any comments on the growler 4?. Btw its possible right for me to bring to a local luthier here n ask for him to patch up the scratches n u know kinda 'make em disappear' its natural wood in colour so i guess the luthier would juz need to put coating on the scratches or sumthing liddat. The Growler 5 overr there retails for 1200USD, second hand. So when i saw the 4 for grabs i juz picked it up. N one more question which shipper would you all prefer me to use to ship it from the states?

Sorry if my post is long guys. All advice/help is appreciated thanks

:hyper:

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The one thing that I've heard on this board, among other places, about the Growler is concern about the necks. Apparently with some of them, there is a real problem with neck stability. So you have to watch for that. Someone else can probably elaborate more on this.

3. Hey chimaera,

I have shipped quite a few basses to Europe from the US for a friend of mine who lives there. Actually, the best deal I have found is with USPS Air Parcel Post. From US to Europe usually runs about 75 to 90 dollars depending on the weight(gig bag vs. case, etc). The last one was only 65 dollars. You should check out the website www.usps.com to get an estimate.