tobias growler

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Oct 18, 2002.

1. how much is too much to pay for one of these? i just got one on ebay and i'm trying to soothe my mind and my checkbook over it
  2. I've seen the 4-strings as low as $650. A friend of mine just picked one up for around $750--sweet bass with a surprisingly (and, to these hands, pleasingly) hefty neck.

I'm not sure why you posted this, though--ever heard of "sunk costs?"
  3. to be honest the only reason i posted this is i needed to assure myself that i didn't spend too much money on it...not that it really matters now..but it makes me feel better...i just used "buy it now" at 750
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You're going to hate this:
    When the local Musician's Friend showroom changed to a Guitar Center they blew the two 4 strings (one fretless) they had out for............$425 each (new).

It wasn't until it was too late I realized I should have bought them both. The fretless had growl and mwaa like no other fretless I have ever played.
  5. oh well ya live you learn
  6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just bought one used from Bass Northwest WITH Tobias hardshell molded case for $700 :D The only problem is that the neck had a lot of high frets and I had to take the bass down to get them leveled :( Other than that, very happy with the bass. And thats just from playing it for 10 minutes before taking it down to the music store to get it fixed.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think the growlers are very nice basses.. does $750 include shipping cost?
  8. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have a Tobias Growler 5 that I'll sell for $750.00 shipping included. (lower 48 only)
    I really like the bass but I'm going to stick to 4-string basses. I'll have more pics tomorrow.
  9. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i'd be TOTALLY interested in that bass if i had cash to spare. damn college...
  10. Heed thee my words, good sir: college is a lot cheaper without beer and weed.
  11. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Oh, I'm aware. I know a few people who actually had to take out an extra lone because of their weekend (and sometimes daily) habits. Some people just don't get it...
  12. I suppose it's not a big problem at I-State, but here at Cornell there are significant numbers of recreational cocaine users. You want to talk about a money pit...
  13. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i've always wanted one, and i just missed out on one a few months back for $600.
    still, i wouldn't feel bad about spending the extra dough if you're happy with the bass...
    (but since you asked) :D
  14. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Most people around here stick to alcohol and marijuana, but we do have our hardcore drug users. I've met more alcoholics in a 2 week period here than anywhere else in the rest of my life. It's crazy... (start of rant)The freshman are the worst of all. It's as if they have something to prove to the world. If they don't get hammered, hurl their guts out, and pass out in some random place every Thirsty Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, they spend the next 3 day pissing and moaning about how they wasted their weekend. Granted, we all like to have fun, but why the hell do you pay thousands of dollars to go to when all you're really concerned about it getting tanked??? Perhaps I'm missing something? (end of rant) Anyway, it's too bad about the cocaine users. Recreational or not, that stuff can F$@# you up. Even here in Iowa, I had to deal with cocaine users in high school. "Not for another two weeks," "Not until next week," "Ok, but this will be the only time I do it 2x in a week." That came from the mouth of a lifelong friend and former bandmate who could no longer play because he couldn't make it to rehearsal or on stage without being serverely intoxicated with various substances. At a point, it's not just a money pit... We all have our choice, right?
  15. mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    I got a 4 string fretless on ebay for about $455 shipped. I use it for jazz, but would like to try it for blues the next time I have a blues project going. Good timing I suppose.

Very intriguing instrument, I've been looking for a fretted 4 string for a while, but I'm not going to pay $600-$700 for one. That doesn't mean you got ripped off, just means that with patience a deal will turn up. Especially with Gibson basses. Also means that with 2 kids, mortgage, and 4 other basses in the basement I gotta be real selective about what I spend.

With the economy in the tank and Xmas coming up, I'm keeping my eye out for a lot of deals in the coming months.

16. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    This is a nice speech but what does it have to do with..........what's this thread about again...I forgot:D
  17. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    oh, c'mon limo... it happens man... (look at the time of the post LOL). either way, you seem to make a nice vigilante moderator. congradulations. :p :p :p
  18. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    It's cool, I just found it very amusing that what you wrote had absolutely nothing to do with a Tobias Growler:p

You think I'm moderator material???:eek:
    THat would be cool:D :D :p
  19. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i just said good job of vigilante moderating. i think the mods here do quite a nice job. LOL. «peace»