Tobias Growlers......?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noweapon, Jun 25, 2001.

1. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I was wondering if any of you owned one of these basses and wanted to know what you thought about them. I hear that these things rock.....but I've never heard one. I've also heard that the electronics are top notch........I have a chance to get a five string version of this bass but I thought I might run some questions by you possible owners first.....

Does it "Growl"?
    how has it stood up over time?
    18 volt Bartolini's...are they all that?
    what other bass would you compare it to??

Thanks for any replys in advance.......
  2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey friend go to i think it was there i read a review of there 5 string! It got great reviews for its b! But i think maybe they said the electronics were messy? Not sure go take a look!
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Growler 5 string. It has its place for sure. My main player is a G&L L-2500. This bass is a nice compliment.

The best feature about the bass is the playability. The neck is very comfortable. Why they call it a growler, I don't really know. It has nowhere near the growl of an old jazz bass. I personally like the 18 bart rig. It is pretty diverse. My only beef is that it hisses too much with the highs cranked.

I use it for contemporary sounding stuff like gospel and AC. The bottom is FAAATTT and the B string is nice and tight. IT also has a VERY good contemporary slap tone. The voicing switches are nice in that you can get a some very differenct tones out of the bass.

The bass has stood up well as far as performance goes. Cosmetics are another story. They are finished with a hand-rubbed oil/wax and the ash is very soft. The slightest bump will ding the bass.

I also like that the bass is very lightweight.

I really can't think of anything to compare it to. It is pretty unique.