1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobias Growlers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beelzelboss, May 10, 2010.

1. I've recently been looking for a Tobias Growler to pick up, and I have, in my search, come up with a question. Maybe you guys can help me out.

What are differences between the one that was recently re-released, and the older ones. The only noticeable difference is that the older ones have two switches, while the re-released version has a knob instead of them. Does anyone know how the tones differ from one to another?

Thanks guys.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I've got one of the older ones, and have tried one of the newer ones in a local shop.
    On the old ones, the controls are:

• 1 Volume
      1 Pickup Balance
      2 stacked treble/bass controls, one for each split half of the pickup
      1 bass boost/cut toggle
      1 treble boost/cut toggle

On the new ones, the controls are:

• 1 Volume
      1 Pickup Balance
      3-band EQ (bass, mid, treble)

The older ones have more tonal flexibility, while the newer ones feel more familiar to tweak.
    Aside from that, something changed in the newer models' tone and feel. Maybe mine is simply broken in and has acquired some actual MOJO:D, but I really didn't care for the new ones. I thought they felt and sounded sterile.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

• Actually, IIRC the toggle switches were midrange contour switches for each half of the pickup.

Mike

4. Oh, so thats it? I guess I'll be wanting an older then.. Thanks guys.

5. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    yes, the toggle switches are mid-contour switches. there are two adjustment screws on the preamp for each switch. you can change the low-mid and IIRC, the upper mid freq and boost points with these to taste. mine is from about 1997-8 and was made by Gibson in the USA. now, IIRC they are made overseas somewhere. prior to gibson, they were made by michael tobias and all of the basses from that era command big bucks on the secondary market.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'll bet the new one's aren't as nice as the old ones - they were a REAL sleeper, if you ask me. I'd own one, and I'm a picky SOB!