Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SteveBob, Aug 9, 2001.

1. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    :(

I just got my Tobias toby 6 string pro today..I hooked it up to my amp and the volume is soo low..the volume is up on the bass and amp..my jackson doesnt have this problem. and also on my Zoom 506 2 some effects work on it and some dont..and my jackson doesnt have this problem... what can i do? thanks Steve

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    not to sound patronizing, but maybe its an active bass and didn't come with a battery? Since its a passive pickup with active electronics, that could happen.

3. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    i checked...the batt. is in place...maybe i should replace it just for ha-ha's

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1) Raise the Pickups.
    The Toby´s come with the pickups too low.
    2) The battery doesnt have much to do there, if it is low on charge it will distort.

3) The output of the Toby Pros is very Low, I had one of those.

4) Best thing you can do is replace the pickups and electronics.

5. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    ok i will do that..what kinda of pickups sould i get and how much? thanks

6. again, not to preach, but did you ever play one of these before ordering? It's really amazing the differing amounts of output of different basses....

7. I think Bartolini's can drop in. Along with their preamp as well. Prolly lookin at $250 or so. You'll prolly have to give them an email.

And the output on the toby pro's is average I'd say. I've played quieter, and louder. If the battery is completely discharged, the bass wouldn't play. But raise them pickups! I'm finally happy with mine. Maybe play with a slightly larger guage of strings also. Change the strings also, the ones that come on em are passable, but find a set you like. Just fiddle with the thing:) It just needs a little TLC to fit you and your style.

8. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    ok...great thanks alot

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Please allow me to offer the benifit of my experience.

I have a Pro-5. The pickups are great, the pre-amp is a POS! I found this out when I bypassed the pre and hot wired the pickups straight to the jack passive. They are LOUD and way tighter on the bottom end without the pre amp.

I took out the stock POS and got the grandaddy Bart. pre thats supposed to be in a real Tobias.
    (HR 5.4 if memory serves)

If you do that, your Toby will smoke like you wouldn't believe. Mine does.

I got the pre from Grasshopper at Bass Central.
    $185. took about a week, drilled two holes dropped it in, soldered two wires, plugged it in and just about skidmarked my underwear.

Live, studio, it doesn't matter. Those Toby's are a great piece of wood with good pickups. Put that Bart in there and you'll spend thousands before you find better.

IMHO of course, but I'm a picky SOB.

10. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    I'm going to print out that reply and bring it to the local music shop... if i try it i will kill my bass :(.... but i'm willing to spend 180 plus labor if is going to make it sound wicked good... So i can leave the pickups there all i need is a new pre amp?... is bass central www.basscentral.com? thanks alot..

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    My suggestion:
    Hot wire your pickups in phase series straight to the jack (white from one pickup to black from the other, remaining white and black to the jack) See if you agree that they sound way louder and tighter.

This will cost you nothing and you can decide if I'm full of sh*t or not. They will be alot darker on the top end due to the fact that there's no treble boost anymore but I used 'em that way for about a month while I was deciding what to do about the problem.

Don't worry about your present pre being damaged, I stumbled on to the EXACT replacement at stewmac (I think) for like 20 bucks.

The HR 5.4 is a prewired drop-in unit and virtually idiot proof (I did it, anyone can).

You have the url right and those guys are the best to deal with. I heard a lot of 'net grumbling about how hard it was to get Bart. stuff and asked them about it (I wasn't in the mood to wait 10 weeks). Grasshopper said they were the Bart king on the east coast (or something like that) and they could do what they said they could do and they did.

If you don't like the sound of your bass after you do that mod., I can assure you the problem lies elswere. It's the best $180. I've ever spent on tone...

One word of warning, when you're done you're going to need another knob.
    If you want the cool happenin' classy knobs (I did) as opposed to the black metal dome knobs you have now....prepare to suffer. Finding them was the single hardest thing I've ever done on the net.
    It's like some kind of trade secret. Mike Tobias wouldn't even answer my e-mail about it. Bass Central has a source but they won't tell you who and want 30-40 bucks for a set (if they can get 'em).

If it's important to you, and you ask REAL nice like, I might be persuaded to give you MY source.
    I even have an extra set of sho' 'nuf Michael Tobias knobs I got on the black market kicking around....

Actually, I'd probably just give 'em to you. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did for a couple of stinkin' knobs

12. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    lol...wow i soo lost..so you dont think the local guitar store wont be able to be bart? I beleive you when you say that the pre amp sucks, is there any other kinda brands that will work if they dont know what i'm talking about? and what is the h.r. 5.4, is that a pre amp unit? Thanks alot

13. I have the same bass. Here are the mods I did to mine, and it's a great machine. Since I did the mods, several people have offered me $$ for it.

Bartolini pickups and NTBT preamp.
    Switchcraft jack socket.
    Top of the line Gotoh tuners (the original ones are not very good).
    Quick-release Gotoh bridge with 17mm string spacing (makes it much more playable).
    Fully shielded with DiMarzio copper foil.
    Large side dots on the neck (for dark stages).
    Reshaped nut.
    Frets professionally levelled, dressed, and ends rounded off.
    TI Jazz Flat strings.

I think the mods suggested in an earlier post sound good. I would also suggest keeping the original pickups, and just replace the preamp.

14. Hmm, I really like the idea of puttin the HR5.4 Pre in. Hmm, maybe in a couple months. Sounds like a fun project!

15. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I'm glad i've read these posts before I purchase a Tobias. I'm thinking about buying the Toby Pro 5 Fretless as a entry level fretless. The preamp seems to be the major drawback of these basses. I have a Sams Amp Bass DI. Would this help in the short term until I could purchase the Bart preamp.
    Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The Toby Pros ARE NOT an "entry level" bass. IMHO.
    They are great, well made pieces of wood. The only thing wrong with them is the "made in Korea" stamped on the back of the headstock. If you can get past that and see it for what it really is without prejudice you're WAY ahead.

Are they fine examples of the art of luthiery? Hell no. Are they as good or better than the other mass produced basses on the market? You bet your ass they are (at least mine is)

Cheap electronics and hardware are universal cost savers on all the off shore "price point" instruments and easily solved with a screwdriver and a couple of bucks as time and budget permits.

That bass is not only neck-through but full of wenge. Big honkin' chunks of wenge. Check out how much MTD upcharges for a wenge neck (if he can even get it) You could buy another Toby for the cost of wenge from a boutique builder.

I may have gotten lucky with mine while the rest suck but I got a closet full of ego bass' collecting dust and that Toby is going to work in 45 minutes.

And you know what else? if it gets knocked over or stolen or scratched, I'm not going to have a heart attack over it. I don't even worry about it. I'll just e-mail musicyo and have another one in three days.

17. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    :( Just received my Toby Pro 5 Fretless and you are correct the preamp is a P.O.S There is alot of hiss when you turn the treble up. Is this due to poor shielding or what ? There is no way I could take this on a gig right now my sound guy would kill me. I think I'm going to take your advise bikertrash82 and purchase the bart pre. As for raising the pickups I have tryed and they do not raise enough as there is no spring they just flop around is there any why to fix this or will it take purchasing some new pickups as well. I do love the way it feels and plays also have some buss around the 5th through the 9th frets. Would a truss rod adjustment fix this seems to be straight when i look down the neck. Your advise is greatly appreciated.

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I just noticed you said FRETLESS. You're definately going to want that bart. 800hz. is the happening frequency for fretless and the HR 5.4 has a mid band dead on it. As for the rest, it's going to get long so I'll e-mail you direct so as not to put everyone else to sleep

19. I'm definetly listening/reading with interest..

20. Alright, so say little old me has a Tobias Pro 5. It's not that bad, but i've been thinking about getting a new pre-amp. How would i go about getting the right size one and putting it in? Not much experience in electronics, so would it be my best bet to take it to a music shop and have them do it? I've been thinking about replacing the PU's and preamp to all bart stuff. If i'm ignorant and this was posted before please bring it to my attention. Thanks a lot.

:p