Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias in the UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Does any one if there is any where in the UK that stock Tobias basses (Korean). I have a Toby 5 Pro in which i have replaced the the pups and pre with basslines stuff. I am looking to buy another as a backup bass......

Any ideas?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have seen the odd example over the last few years, in the Bass Centre in Wapping and in the Bass Cellar in Denmark Street. But not recently and not the last few times I have been there.

I would imagine the very low mail order prices being offered by places like MusicYo, mean that it's not worthwhile for shops to stock them now?

Here's a new story from the net :

MusicYo.com Opens Warehouse in Europe for EU Customers

5/9/2000
    Capitola, CA. - MusicYo.com, the E-commerce Internet company based in California, USA has announced their newly established European warehouse in Holland. Now available for purchase are Kramer guitars, basses and amps, Steinberger guitars and basses, Slingerland drums, Tobias basses, accessories and more. European Union (EU) customers can now buy these brands and others DIRECT from MusicYo.com ON-LINE over the Internet at prices that are typically 50% less than comparable products found in the retail stops. And since products are shipped from Europe, delivery time is typically 2-3 days and freight charges are very reasonable. European musicians can now also purchase in Euros using most major credit and debit cards by visiting www.musicyo.com on the Internet and selected the YO-EUROPE button.

For more information and to purchase, go to www.musicyo.com on the Internet.

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I emailed MusicYo the other day..... they didnt mention a EU warehouse. they said they would have to ship from the US and i would have to pay the import tax.... does any one know what percentage the import tax is???

4. Bruce Lindfield

I just looked and the very last thing on their FAQ is that their European warehouse had to close due to EC restrictions!! :rolleyes:

So - you missed the "window" for cheap Tobiases. :(

I think you have to bank on adding about 30% in total - to cover 17.5% VAT, plus customs/import duty - if the customs open something - and this is very likely with an item as large as a bass (you could get lots of drugs in there!) - then they slap on a fee!!

You might want to PM Gard - who works for a bass shop in the US and has sold many basses to UK customers - he might be able to give more accurate figures on what gets added?

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I guess that was the window thru which my toby came into the country..... Ill see if can sort out the import duty, i have a friend on holiday in the US at the moment..... he may have to bring me a present back :)

If not.... are MTD's easier to get hold of in the UK????

6. Bruce Lindfield

The last time I was in the Bass Centre, I have the feeling they had a load of MTDs - Kingstons - but I could be wrong I wasn't looking for these particularly - try giving them a ring?

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Yes, there were plenty of MTD Kingstons in the Bass Centre on Saturday - a choice of four or five strings and a wide range of colours.

I was highly impressed with the one I tried. I'd rather have one of those than, say, the Andreas Basking Shark that was hanging next to it (fancy looks and probably much more expensive but not a patch on the playability and tone).

Wulf