Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TOBIAS KILLER B 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Mar 27, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Any one got Photo's of the following bass?
    TOBIAS KILLER B 5. I would like to see a photo of one with a Swamp-Ash body. I have seen plenty of ALDER ones, but the SWAMP-ASH always had a nicer grain effect.

Any one got one out there? do you like them?
    Is the string spacing anygood?
    Overall sound?

The only 3 bass players i can think of at the moment who played Tobias Killer B basses are the following.

MELVIN GIBBS (ROLLINS BAND)
    BARDI ? (CANDLEBOX)
    TOM HAMILTON (AEROSMITH)

P.S. If any one out there (U.K.) has a KILLER B 5 bass for sale let me know, or if anyone out there is willing to ship to the U.K. let me know.

ROCK ON!

2. By far the majority of them were swamp ash, as far as I know--certainly most of the ones I've seen have been. The others have been in maple or lacewood, with one oddball in zebrawood. I don't know that they were ever made in alder, though, unless it was used for the solid-color finishes. There's a swamp-ash one on Ebay at the moment, though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=854002577

I've played several, and a friend of mine owned one for a little while. As with most Gibson-era Tobiases, the quality varies quite a bit--I've played some that were nice, and some that were pretty crude. The string spacing is around 11/16" on the 5's, I think--not as wide as the MTDs, but not as narrow as the Warwicks. The sound of the swamp ash one my friend had was pretty good, but the light ash body didn't have quite the solid low mids that it takes to cut through against distorted guitar. He wound up trading it on a Warwick.

Mike