1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobias Killer B 6 (lacewood)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 22, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a chance to get one of these for $1599.

I've heard that they play and sound very nice and are not as neck heavy as some of the Warwick 6 stringers.

Just wondered what you guys thought. I'd have to buy sight unseen though I do have return privelages...

2. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have any thoughts?

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Sounds like a pretty decent deal if brand new, and I definitely dig my Tobias Growler 5-string. The asymmetrical neck is LIKE BUTTAH.

Go for it, and if it's a dud, utilize that return policy!

4. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    It's actually a few years old but apparently is setup very nicely and in great condition. After buying it I found a few negative threads about lacewood being mid-rangey when used for an entire body. I guess I'll find out.

5. Georges Abitbol

Georges Abitbol Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Paris, France
    Hi jzucker,
    I've tried one many years ago (used)
    It had a wonderful bartolini tone, good tone, especially on low B string. For $1600 you can find used MTDs on the bay. I will look there at first before buying.
    There is other owners here:
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/tobiasmtdbasses/

6. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the info Georges. Aren't the MTD basses 35"? They also have a wider string spacing.

Any thoughts on the ash body Tobias 6 strings?

7. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i played one once, the only thing i can remember was the neck was reallly thin. go for it.

8. Considering the comments on them, I wouldn't want to buy ANY post Gibson Tobias without trying it out first. I had a Killer B 5 in maple that was very very nice, but it was one of the earliest Killer Bs. I'd think ash would be great, my current 5 is ash with a maple neck, Bartolini pickups, and a maple neck - like you'd find in a B - and it's awesome sounding.

I also wuldn't pay $1599 for one without looking into alternatives, and I'd never want to plunk that $ down without playing the bass in question and a few alternatives.

99% of the US MTD basses are 35".

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Is your ash killer b maple fingerboard?

10. The bass I have now isn't a Killer B, but it's similar. The Killer B was maple body, maple/purpleheart neck, rosewood fingerboard. My current 5 string is a luthier made bass, swamp ash body, maple/purpleheart neck, maple fingerboard, bolt on. Bartolini pickups. It sounds similar to my old Killer B, but I like it better; deeper, a little more groggy, with stronger mids but less highs than the maple B I had. I'd imagine an ash body with that beautiful Tobias neck design would make for a killer 6 string, as long as it was one of the "good ones" since folks say the quality was spotty.

11. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the feedback. Tuesday I'm recieving a Lacewood 6 string B and wednesday I'm getting the Ash 6 string. The lacewood I can return if i don't like it. The 6 I bought off Ebay so I'll resell it if I like the lacewood better.

Unfortunately, I can't find any 6 strings locally. One local store had a yamaha but the string spacing was way too wide...

I'll post back with my findings...