1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tobias Killer B ... circa 1995

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I am considering buying one of these from a guy in The Gear Page forum. It looks very nice. What do you guys think of these basses?

What do you think it is worth???

It's not mint ... got a few dings on it, but he says it plays great.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Is it a 4 or 5 string?, What body is it? They used Ash , some zebrawood, mahogany and maybe some other stuff. They don't hold value, I know I had one, practically gave it away. If it's in good shape, solid neck, probably between 750 and 1100 tops. The more exotic woods fetch a little more. Also check the body, the oil finish's they used don't hold up well, many of them are worn thru on top ecspecialy if owned by a slapper ( no pickguard).

3. I think he said it was swamp ash. Do these basses have nice tone and sustain?

4. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I had a 5 string Killer B from that period. It sounded great, nice build quality. I thought the string spacing was a bit crowded, but I liked the way the asymetrical neck felt. I ended up selling it to a friend, because I don't like 34" scale 5 strings. If you can buy it for less than $800, I think you will be happy.

_Curt

5. It is a 5 string, by the way.

Just curious, why don't you like 34" 5 stringers? I'm just getting started on bass and don't know squat about them.

6. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    Well, I have found that 35" scale gives you a tighter B string. I really have a hard time with the floppy B string you get with most 34" scale basses. Some here will argue that there are some 34" scale 5 strings that have a tight B string, but I have played a bunch of em' (including a Stingray 5 & they don't compare to a 35" scale) That being said, I also play with a heavy hand so if you are a light player, 34" might not bother you at all. Try a few and see what works best for you. And for what it is worth, I would own another Killer B, if I could get it for the right price ;)

_Curt

7. That's very interesting.

My son has an Ibanez K5 bass and the B string is floppy. I'll bet it is a 34"

I don't like it.

Are most 5 string basses 34" or 35"???

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Some people (I'm one of them) think that the B on a 34" scale bass can be just fine, depending on the bass. I won't knock 35" scales on the whole, I've played some nice ones and some awkward ones, but a 34" B isn't automatically bad. I used to have mid 90's Killer B 5, it was maple. I really liked it, the neck was great, easier to play than some 4's, and it sounded quite good. As for the B string being floppy, I used very thick strings (.130) and tuned down a full step and had no problems, with very low action. I have played very few 5 strings that I liked better than the Killer B, and they all cost over (sometimes well over) $2000. (That's played, not OWNED, though I had an Alembic Epic 5 with a lackluster low B and an uncomfortable neck.)