Tobias Korean made basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I recently played one of these - no model ID on it - but apparently it was a 2001 - 2 Tobias active pickups - bolt on neck - 4 stringer. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was - especially for rock tones. Anyone know the story on these ? What did they cost ? Are they good basses ?
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own one. They are decent basses. B..U..T.. they are not really 'Tobias' basses. They are Gibson produced (in Korea) instruments. Gibson bought the Tobias name years ago. I still think the basses are made well but the main issue with these are the 'low level' pre-amps and pickups. Upgrade that and you have a really nice instrument.
  3. You used to be able to purchase them through, but for some reason, they were removed from musicyo's list of basses.

4. groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    AFAIK Tobias basses you're talking about are neck through, and jimfriar said that it was a bolt on.

I think he's talking about a Kingston or a Heir
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No, there were 2 different models available. The 'Toby' deluxe (bolt on) and the 'Toby' pro (neck through). The Kingstons and Heirs are MTD products. I own a 'Toby' deluxe 5 string model. IMHO, it plays better than my Lakland! As for the low output issue, I just plug into my passive input on my amp. Here's the new Gibson/Tobias website. I'm assuming that the 'Toby's' are no longer being made! Now if it's not a Toby he's speaking of, it's one of the models on the new website.
  6. Nope - I believe it must be a Toby deluxe then - because it is a bolt on. And it does play great - I couldn't believe it. Anyone know how much they sold for ? Isn't musicyo for cheaper stuff ?
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If I recall correctly, the Pro (neck thru) was around the 600 mark, and the Deluxe was around the 450 mark.

I'd STILL like to know what happened to the Toby's. They aren't at musicyo anymore, but are also not at Gibson, either. :confused: