1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Tobias little oddity?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by engage757, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engage757

engage757 Banned

Here is a little different one.

The paperwork Identifies this as a growler. However, I can't find a growler in this color or the P/U configuration. Comes with brand new hardshell molded TObias case and all paperwork. Thinking $300, but send me your offers! far more interested in trades.

Like new!

FT only for now.

Thanks!

DSC_0241.

DSC_0242.

DSC_0245.

DSC_0246.

DSC_0248.

DSC_0253.

DSC_0261.

DSC_0282.

This bass is very punchy! very thin neck! I was also informed it could be a Toby Pro, or a Toby Deluxe as well. Make me some offers fellows!

Thanks,
    zack

2. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Nice looking bass!

I´m guessing Toby. AFAIK, all Growlers are US made, and have Bartolini pickups.

Good luck with the sale!

3. engage757

engage757 Banned

yeah, I don't understand why all the paperwork says it is a growler?

4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Yeah, Those were the Toby deluxes. I bought one of each when they first came out. I paid $250 for the Deluxe and $335 for the Toby Pro from Music Yo. The Pro basses lacked a finishing touch. I ended up fine sanding it and then had a friend stain and lacquer it. I changed out the electronics and pickups with Barts and it played and sounded really nice.

The easiest way to spot one of the Korean models is by the Truss Rod cover. If the cover is at the Headstock it is Korean, if it is at the body it is American.

5. engage757

engage757 Banned

alrighty, price to $250... sound good? offers are always good too!

6. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    I didn't mean to get you to lower the price, the demand on these picked up and they were selling in the $350 range before Gibson decided to start offering American Tobias basses again and ended the contract. I just happened to get mine before people realized that these basses were a steal at the original asking price.

Wish I had the money, my Deluxe had a straight fast neck, very low action and killed the Mexican Fender Jazz basses in feel and tone. IMO

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Former Deluxe 5 owner here. Gigged mine for almost 10 years without a single problem. Here's a pic of me playing it last year before I sold it.

DSCN0442.

8. engage757

engage757 Banned

nice, so we are looking at a deluxe then. is $250 a decent price?

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's a very good price, judging from what they sell for on the 'bay.

10. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What is the weight and balance like on these.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In good condition.....yes. Fair price.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Mine was very light. 8lb-ish. I never weighed it but it was easily lighter than all my other basses I had at the time including a mid 90's Ibanez SR505 which was uber light as well.

13. engage757

engage757 Banned

this bass is ridiculously light... so, price $250! $275 with case! Thanks DWBass! much appreciated!

14. engage757

engage757 Banned

bump!

15. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    good stuff. i had a pro 5 and also paid for it when they first came out. wound up puttign it up for consignment at alocal music shop and they got quite a bit more than i paid for it.

i saw one mislabeled at a guitar center once as a killer bee, with a tag price of 1200. i told them about their error and 2 weeks later, no change to the price.

good price here, and a thread that brought back some memories. bump!

16. engage757

engage757 Banned

bump

17. Used to have a 5 string just like DWBass, except natural finish. Gigged it for about 4 years, got tons of compliments on the tone of this bass (from musicians, audience, sound men, etc.)

Regardless of what anyone says about the comparison of the cheap Korean Toby bass vs. Gibson era Tobias vs. pre-Gibson era, these Korean basses sound excellent.

The only reason I sold my fiver was the narrow string spacing (I like w - i - d - e spacing :D). Sold it to a friend about 5 yrs ago, he loves it and he has gigged it ever since then.

18. engage757

engage757 Banned

nice man, thanks!

19. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Interested....

20. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    Someone buy this Bass, it is well worth the asking price!!!

Same thing, Sam Ash had a Toby listed as American for $1600. I kept telling them it was made in Korea and even showed them the decal that had made in Korea. I kept telling them that it wasn't American and this would be fraud if they sold it as such. I finally went up the chain of command to the store manager and told him. I came in the store a week later and the bass was gone so I don't know what ever happened with the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.