1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobias Model T

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Decedo, May 3, 2010.

1. Decedo

Decedo

Nov 23, 2008
  2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I got one...and actually it is for sale too in the classified section.

The Model “T” was made in the 1989-90 time frame before the company moved to Nashville. Mike Tobias was still running things at that time.

As stated on the current MTD web site in the history section,

"Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We had 110 "Model T" basses made for us by a very fine builder in New England....."

Well that New England builder was actually Mike Pedulla!

As stated on the MTD web site, only 110 of these basses were made. The one I have is #25 out of 110.

In a copy of a old Tobias brochure these basses were touted as the “no frills” workingman Tobias bass!

The construction of the bass is:

- Solid Birdseye maple body wings
    - 3 piece hard rock maple neck
    - Rosewood board (a very light colored Rosewood too)
    - Bartolini electronics

Fantastic sounding bass! But, I am more of a Jazz guy and play my Sadowsky basses more. Which is why it is up for sale.

[​IMG]