Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r2k, Dec 18, 2001.

1. I've looked at a Tobias bass on (the Toby pro series 4-string), and I wonder if anyone have tried it or could recommend it.

I would also like to know, if I can put a Bartolini Music Man pick-up in a MTD Kingston bass.
  2. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I use to have a used MTD American back a while ago. It was a good bass but me having GAS sold it and got a Music Man Stingray 5. Not sure about the p/u deal, maybe u should go for a stingray?

The Tobias is becoming popular again because of that "Incubus cash cow" band Hoobastank. Who knows. I've heard that the Toby series is a decent model. A kid on the 'net I talk with has one but he's selling it soon for a Pedulla (hahhaha, talk about influence). He didn't say it sounded bad or whatever, just didn't feel like a "real" Tobias, what ever the hell that means.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The Toby Pro is a "you get what you pay for bass". It's made in Korea, looks like a "real" Tobias, but in actuality is equivalent to say a Dean. Not a bad bass by any means, but certainly not a great one either. Personally, my opinion was that it was well constructed, the neck was a bit chunky for my taste, and the electronics needed to be replaced ASAP.

The MTD Kingstons are also made in Korea, but as it's a simpler bass (bolt-on vs. neck thru, passive vs. active electronics), more of the money put into making it is in making it play and sound good, in a basic sense. As for putting a new pickup in it, there isn't a direct-replacement for the pickup in the K bass. But you can do it with a bit of routing (well, I'd recommend a good repairman do it FOR you ;) ), and there is plenty of room in the control cavity for replacing the passive controls with an active system. One guy I know here in Orlando has done the modification on his Kingston, and it SMOKES!!
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Guard got it right. The toby pro is a working mans bass Cheap, tough, servicable, if it get's stolen it's not a life changing experience.....I happen to like the asymetric neck profile.

The preamp does SUCK. I replaced mine with a Bartolini HR4.5 from bass central and found the difference....impressive to say the least.
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I just talked to that kid on IM and he said the Toby is sort of like an Ibanez BTB series. So take it for what its worth. He told he loves the way tobias looks so that is why he bought one. He also concurs with the tonal side of the Toby. He used a lot of eq to get it to sound good.

I guess he is gonna get a Pedualla Rapture 5 string this xmas, not a bad gift huh...
  6. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Hey Gard,

What pickup did that guy put in his Kingston? I'm thinking along those lines.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jon -

As I understand it, it's a Bartolini designed pickup made in Korea (I could be wrong, but that's what I've been told). It's a good sounding bass as is, the pickup is pretty passable in all honesty. I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace the p/u, just add a good active EQ package to it to give it more flexibility.
  8. Thanks for all those replies.
    I didn't expect that.