1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobias P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, not as such...

jberlin01.

This is what I'm talking about! Jeff used it back in the 80's and such, and I'm wondering if it's made by Michael Tobias. His records "Champion" and "Pump It" both state inside that he uses a Tobias bass, Champion mentions how it has a Badass bridge and Pump It mentions how he uses Bartolini pickups (which can be seen on the pictured bass on the inside cover of Champion, despite their lack of mention in the book).

This bass has that P bass body shape, but more frets (24 I think), and has two Humbuckers rather than the split coil of a Precision bass. I'm just wondering, could this be the bass he is talking about when he mentions he use of Tobias basses?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Bumpity bump?

Anyone here recognise it, or should I maybe try and email Michael?

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The neck was made by Michael, the body is a 63 p bass if i remember correctly.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Further info: The pickups are an especial reisue of some old bart model. the neck pickup isnt wired so it is off.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Look at that neck closely- it doesn't have 24 frets. Looks like it has 20.

Jeff has stated in the past that he hates 24 fret necks and doesn't see why people need more than 21.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    its got 21

7. A 24 FRET P BASS??!!

I think when I saw Berlin's instructional video it was 21.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Ah well, maybe I miscounted the number of frets :p

Thanks for the info on the bass, I've been enjoying listening to it. Berlin always has amazing tone, regardless of whether he uses the Tobias thing, a Peavey or a Dean!