Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Pics Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Can anyone post picks of their Tobias basses (5-strings especially)? Pre-Gibson or current, dosent matter.

2. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Here's a Gibson-era Killer B 5 I recently sold .

3. Nice. Any one else?

4. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    this is my new (to me) signature 4. it rips!!! :bassist:

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not pre-Gibson, but good enough for me...

535/24:Maple burl top on Ash, Maple neck with Ebony fingerboard
    [​IMG]

535/24 Marilyn #8 (chambered body):Water Cured Redwood top on chambered Alder, Maple/Ebony
    [​IMG]

6. :eek: *Jaw hits floor upon glancing at Marylin #8.....Sex-e. Very cool.

Come on guys, you own basses designed by the great MICHAEL TOBIAS, and I want to see them. You should be proud and show more pictures of the bass you own than your ugly children (Just kidding about the ugly part. I hope the children of everyone on this board are perfectly healthy and equally attractive.)

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    [​IMG]

There's my Tobias in action. :p

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
  9. Google search is cool, but I'm more interested in seeing my fellow Tbers' basses.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Mmmm, Growler... older one with the GOOD preamp... I love these... someday I'll have one of those fivers... I had an awesome 4, mod'd by Carey Nordstrand, but just really need the fiver...

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
  12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yeah, too bad mine devours 9 volts like Pez. I should take it to a tech someday (I bought it used just last year), but for the time being I'll just keep Duracell in business. :D

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, it shouldn't do that unless you leave it plugged in all the time at home while yer not using it. Sounds like a short somewhere, or a bad input jack. Seriously, it should be an easy repair. Git-r-dun. :)

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Well, I replaced the input jack right when I got it, then a few weeks later noticed its bad battery habit. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to electronics, think I could pinpoint the problem just with a multi-meter?

I'm mechanically inclined and have worked on tons of cars, just never got my feet wet with electronics. :D

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well if you got a stereo jack, and wired it exactly like the one before, you shouldn't have a problem... at least not with the jack...

Basically, it sounds like you have a short somewhere.

One thing you can do is verify that if you measure from the tip to one of the shank contacts you get voltage, and tip to the other shank contact you SHOULD NOT (I can't remember if ring or shank is the powered one). The one with no power should be the one that goes to the preamp, while the other goes to the battery.

Basically, when you close the ring to the shank using a mono plug in a stereo jack, you're closing the circuit to provide juice to the preamp. If the jack has a partial or full short between those two contacts either due to the jack or another wiring problem somewhere, the preamp is live all the time. It won't affect your tone, just kill your batteries... basically the same as leaving the cord plugged in all the time.

Also, I'm pretty sure you should be able to remove the battery and measure an open circuit between the two shank contacts (ring/shank). Make sure you remove the battery before putting the ohmmeter on there, tho.

Hope this helps!

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Awesome Vic, thanks much. I'll run out and get a multimeter this week and see what I can see. You'll likely get a PM from me in a few days hopefully for a simple "thank you!" but likely with more questions. :D

17. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    The Green Growler

Attached Files:

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Tobias Classic 5, quilted maple, walnut with a wenge sound plate and fingerboard.

[​IMG]

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No problem at all!! Yeah, decent MM's are cheap enough and good to have.

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You guys with the older Growlers are killin' me. I've never seen a green one before, it looks awesome!