Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Pre-Gibson??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It doesn't look pre-Gibson to me - what makes you think this? It has to have a serial number of less than 2044 and this isn't specified on the page.

It looks passive - only 4 knobs and no battery compartment - all the Tobias's I've seen like this that were pre-Gibson have a little switch to go between passive/active and a 3-band EQ.

I would say it's a later model of lower quality - I don't like the look of it!

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Yea, thats the cheap, after gibson closed overseas tobias. cost about $500

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The one thing that struck me was that it was neck through.

Another thing that struck me was that it was uuugly!:eek:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Nah - a lot of the cheap Tobias derivatives are neck-through - including Tobys.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm frightened by the fact that it's located in the Alabama Christian Grandma.....where's she got it?!? :eek: ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well I noticed that the first comment on the
    seller's feedback was :

"Fast shipping. Great pants.This seller is friendly and recommended highly!!! "

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Okay, make that frightened, disgusted, slightly aroused, and confused.....perhaps I've said too much. ;)

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Toby Pro is neck-thru. The Toby Deluxe is bolt-on.
    I would say that is a Toby, (going by the look and the pickups). Since it has a hard shell case and Musicyo only has gig bags, maybe it is an older model. But I doubt pre-Gibson.
    With the Toby Pro, you get a pretty good neck-thru instrument, and especially so for what little they cost.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The most notable reason that bass is not "pre-Gibson" is that the pickups have "Tobias" stamped on them, and ALL of the pre-Gibson Tobias basses had Bartolini pickups in them, as well as an on-off active switch on the front.

The cheapie Toby basses used generic pickups with the Tobias name stamped on the cover.