Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Pro-5 or Dean Edge Q?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Sep 18, 2000.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I'm looking at getting a new bass, I want something around the 500 dollar range. I've been looking at the Tobias Pro-5 and the Dean Edge Q. I really want to be able to get a pretty good range of sounds out my bass, I like to get funky, I like playing rock, etc,etc. If anyone owns either of these basses, has played one of them, or has a better suggestion please respond.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Get the Toby man!!
    You are getting a $469 Factory Direct Bass..
    The Dean Edge is a $490 /Midleman/Promotion/Air conditioner/Factory Bass.. To my toughts that would be less bass than the Toby.
    :)
    BTW.. Im getting a Toby Pro too.
    :D

3. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I would recomend getting the toby. I have played the dean and i really don't care for them. The toby is a great value for what you pay, even though it is not a growler, it is a good bass.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have a Toby Pro 6 and a Dean Edge Q5. Structurally speaking, the Toby is neck-through while the Dean is bolt on. In theory, the neck-through design adds sustain while the bolt on adds warmth to the tone. The Toby Pro is build with flame (or quilted) mable body wings, while the Dean is basswood with a paper thin quilted maple veneer top. Again, in theory maple produces more sustain while the basswood is warmer sounding wood. Hardware wise, they are pretty much the same, the Toby having Gotoh's and the Dean Grovers is about the only real difference as they have almost identical bridges. The other big difference is the scale, the Toby is 34" while the Dean is 35" (for the 5 or 6 string, 34" for the 4 string). Does all of this mean anything...maybe in theory, but at a $500 level, probably not as much as the manufacturers would like you to believe. The biggest question is how do they compare sound wise and I think (my opinion, others may feel different) that there are many more sounds available within the Toby then there are in the Dean. Personally, in my opinion again, between the two instruments I have, and the way I set them up (low action) the Toby plays much better then the Dean. In fact, the only way I could get the action on the Dean down to where I like it was too carefully add three layers of thin maple veneer to the neck pocket under the neck heal. Doing that and therefore raising the neck a bit brought it up to a point where with the saddles lowered all the way on the "B" and "G" strings, the action is almost as low as on the Toby (both without string buzzes.)

Hope this helps a little...feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Steve

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Conclusion:
    THE TOBY WINS!!!
    That tip about the action should give you an example of how good the fretwork and design is in the Toby.
    :)

6. my mom plays a dean Q
    she seems to like it

7. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    I bought a toby pro 5 and sent it back immediatley!It was horrible!I suggest the Dean edge 5 Q because of the pickups, emg-hz are pretty damn good.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It was horrible??
    maybe yours was damaged or something..
    You could have asked for a replacement.
    anyway... I hope mine comes in good shape.

9. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    Ifabara, i ordered mine from a website, i dont know if u can get them anywhere else but they play NOTHING like a tobias growler or renegade, so maybe mine had a deftect, i hope yours comes in good and your happy with it.(I waited and eventually got a Music Man, so maybe i was just pissed because the toby wasnt like it!)It seems odd that there is a tobais for 400 though.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yo expected the Toby to be like a Tobias Growler?? Or Basic , or even Renegade?
    Toby is made in Korea, distributed by Gibson trough musicyo.
    It is different to the higher priced Tobias of course, but I think it is still better than a DEAN Edge bass. Even a Ibanez is better than a Dean.

11. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    I thought because it was a tobias it would be great, but looks are decieving, and the new dean basses arent that bad at all.It's a matter of opinion so please tell me how you like it when you get it in, Ifabara.

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes , Im sorry for critizicing, It is a matter of personal taste, opinion and choice.
    I will give a good review on the bass as soon it arrives. (About 24 Days... )

13. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    No question about it, go with the Q.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Now, did someone ever imagine that the day would come when a Dean and a Tobias would be considered as being in the same league??

Will C.:cool:

15. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'll bet they piss off Michael Tobias even more than the sloppily made Gibson instruments-- unless his sale of the company included a future piece of the action-- doubtful.

16. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Why should he be pissed? He sold his good name and got his money. What did he expect would happen? It IS a shame to see what happened to Tobias basses.
    Perhaps one day....Gibson will offer Roger a great deal of money...and we will be able to buy Chinese made Sadowskys. :D

17. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'm sure the shirts at Gibson blew smoke up his arse, with all the promises of quality control and craftsmanship...

I would guess it is a matter of personal pride and standards, but if I were in his shoes, bucks or not, I don't think I'd be happy about it. If I put the effort in to establish my name as a sign of high quality, hand made instruments, seeing it on inexpensive factory instruments could be a downer.

OTOH, some other custom makers are having imported instruments put out with their name but I assume are maintaining some control and/or actively and knowingly participated in the deal. If Tobias knew it was coming down the pike, then fine. But if he was blindsided by Gibson, that's a bummer.

That said, these instruments look like a pretty decent deal no matter whose name is on them.

18. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Bob...I was being a bit cynical, but I do agrre with you. We can only imagine what BS gibson handed Michael.
    I also agree that the basses ARE still a pretty good deal. It is actually amazing what a few hundred dollars will buy these days. I've scoped out a deal on a Dean Edge6 and think I will go for it. It's hard not to...for the price. :)

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bob & Deynn -

I've met Mike T a few times, and from hearing him talk and knowing some friends of his very well, I can tell you he's NOT HAPPY with Gibson. He was given many assurances of quality control, etc, which of course were completely ignored as soon as he walked out of the door. Gibson has proven two things with their purchase of both Tobias and Stienberger:

1) Corporate stiffs don't give a damn about quality musical instruments.
    2) Gibson not only can't make a decent bass under their own name, but when they buy the name/reputation/etc of another GREAT bassmaker, they'll ruin it as well. :rolleyes: I'm sure Trace Elliot is soon to be merely a shadow of it's former self now....

That said, for what they are, the MusicYo Toby's are probably a good deal, they just shouldn't have that "T" on the headstock, IMO.:mad:

20. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Gard...You are right on about Gibson. And last I heard....
    there are NO plans to put Steinbergers back into production. Even if they do....what kind of quality would we be talking about??