Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias PRO-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x_FireInside_x, Jan 3, 2002.

1. x_FireInside_x

x_FireInside_x

Dec 13, 2001
    This bass is listed at $1,199.00. But on musicyo.com it sells for $599.99. Has anyone played this??? I know that Tobias ussually sells for around $1000. I also heard thet Tobias is amazing. So why is this so much cheaper? It has neck through body and active pickups. It sounds like an amazing deal to me. Heres the link to it
    http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=335

I am seriously thinking about buying this please give me some advice.
    thnx

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Tobias basses haven't been made by Mike Tobias in several years, quality went down when Gibson bought the rights. Now, quality has gone down even more since Gibson is having them made in Korea out of cheap materials.

This is a cheap bass. Its OK for a cheap bass, but is still nonetheless a cheap bass. If you like them and the price is right for you, then you should get one. But don't get one expecting the quality of the Tobias reputation.

3. A 5 piece wenge/maple neck thru with solid cloud quilt maple body wings is cheap? Only thing that's really cheap about it is the electronics. The output's a little low.

It's definetly not a MTD. No doubt about that. But I think it's worth it. Ask philbiker about his. He replaced the electronics with a Bartolini setup. Near perfect idea.

I've gotten tons of compliments on mine. I think the sucker looks great. Love stainless steel strings. Fits my hands perfectly. But I've had mine a couple years now.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

4. actually, when tobiases were being made in nashville (under gibson) they still were atleast supervised by mike and they still made great istruments. right now though the tobiases made overseas are quite the p.o.s. but are still relatively decent.

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Remember though that MusicYo is the only dealer of that bass, so the list price is basically just something they pull out of thin air. :p Kind of like how Carvin puts list prices on their gear.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a Pro5 and I like it, BP mag liked 'em. I think that they are good looking, good sounding instruments that are well worth the money.