Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias pro 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D-Cup, Apr 25, 2001.

1. D-Cup

D-Cup

Apr 25, 2001
    Hey people, my roomate is a bass player, he has got a Musicman fourstring and a Fender 4 fretless. He also plays through an big ampeg amp, he a real good bass player. Anyway he's thinking about picking up a Tobias pro 6. It's like $629 new. Can anyone tell me what the deal is here, is this a good bass, why is it so cheap? thanks.

D-Cup

2. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

nah, wack.

tobias' are only good pre-gibson (us made).

3. Are you really a D-Cup? Maybe you should post a pic :D j/k

4. D-Cup

D-Cup

Apr 25, 2001
    Bassheavy, I saw your list in your collection thread so I know that the Tobias will fall out of the spectrum of your interest. But seriously, for the money, and as a side bass to check out the 6-string thing, is it a decent deal?

5. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

for that $$$$, i'd probably get a dean or an ibanez sdgr. (or go used)

the only thing tobias' have going for them is the name (and the cool headstock).

6. D-Cup

D-Cup

Apr 25, 2001
    Oh, and cyklone, no sorry I am a guy with really small boobies. My roomate is often called D-Cup as HE is named Derek and that starts with D and, well, we like boob humor.

7. D-Cup

D-Cup

Apr 25, 2001
    I would go used as well, actually I just bought a 78 Guild S-300D today, But the Cup wants a new one for some reason. You like the soundgear? My other guitar is an Ibanez so I am a bit partial to them sometimes.

8. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i've had my sdgr for about 9 years now and i love it.

recently put a whammy bar bridge on it. too cool for school.

9. D-Cup

D-Cup

Apr 25, 2001
    What is a good bet used in the same $600 price range? 6-string or possibly a fretless 5?

10. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i really like the looks of those new dean basses (the rhapsody?) and from what i hear they are built well.

11. D-Cup

D-Cup

Apr 25, 2001
    I'll take a look at the dean but I'm still interested in some more Tobias impressions. No offence Bassheavy, but I would like a group of responces to compare and all that, as what I know about basses is mostly through the guitar counterparts, which don't really compare. If you know what I mean.

12. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

of course. no offense taken.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are a couple of people here who have either bought or played one of the Toby models, and they have gotten OK reviews, nothing spectacular, but generally good for the price.

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Too cool for even...Berklee?
    :eek: ;)

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO!:p

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have one of the Pro 5's and I like mine alot. Sounds good. It plays and looks great My only conplaint is the treble boost adds a little hiss if you turn it way up (higher than I want it for most things), but it's not that bad. I like the slightly closer string spacing, but I see that some people don't. BP Mag gave the Toby a good (ITPR) review.

17. I have a Toby Pro 6, which I bought with the express purpose of modifying it heavily in mind. I figured it had a decent body and neck, which would make a good platform. Here's the mods:
    Bartolini pickups and preamp
    Top of the range Gotoh tuners
    Gotoh 510 bridge with 17mm spacing and quick release
    Top pro fret dress job
    Large side markers for dark stages
    Strap screwed permanently to the body
    Fully shielded and Switchcraft output socket
    TI Jazz Flat strings

It sound, and plays, fabulous. A bit neck-heavy, but most sixes are. In my country, the currency value is so low that high end basses are totally exorbitant prices, consequently no-one will import them. Example; a Pedulla Rapture 4, with single pickup, would retail around $6000. That's about $2600US.
    I know this does'nt really answer your question, I just wanted to demonstrate that they are basically a good instrument. Incidentally, I have tried a Toby 5, and the Toby 6 is a much better bass, maybe because of the extra mass with the wider neck and two truss-rods.

18. D-Cup

D-Cup

Apr 25, 2001
    Thanks for the input guys, it helps.

19. HA HA HA HA

lmao

hey cyclone777 you ever seen "The Crying Game"

[​IMG]

20. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    A couple of 6's to consider in the same price range as the Tobias Pro are the Dean Q6 and Cort Curbow 6...neither have neck through construction but they both have better sounding electronics...which can be a big difference on any instrument.

Also, was at the Musician's Friend www site yesterday and they had Dean Q6's for $335 in the "scrach and dent" section. This price is a steal oir a new one.