Tobias Pro 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Dec 23, 2000.

1. I have a custom six I built myself, (Alembic electrics, neckthru etc), and decided it would be nice to have a backup. There has been some adverse reaction in past threads to the Korean Tobias Pro series, so I had negative feelings about these. However, when a rep showed me one I thought it would make a decent bass with some tweaking, so I bought one. The machineheads are a bit rough, so I replaced them with top model Gotohs. The bridge was replaced with a Gotoh 510 which has slots for rapid string replacement, and is 2.5mm wider string spacing overall. I kept the pickups, which are active MightyMite, branded Tobias, and replaced the preamp with a Seymour Duncan 3 band eq with slap contour pull switch. The finishing touch was a Switchcraft output socket.
    Much to my suprise, I find myself playing the Tobias now, and my custom is my backup! Many people who have tried the Tobias assume it's one of the American made ones, it's so good. Although reasonably heavy, it balances really well, and is fun to play. My point is, some cheaper instruments can be easily turned into very respectable basses with a bit of thought. Oh, and with either Slowounds or EB's it has a very tight and punchy B string also. Groovy.
    Ed Dunning likes this.
  2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    My 4 string toby (which I just sold actually..) would've benefited heavily from an electronics uprgrade.. But, I figured if I replaced the bridge, tuners, preamp and pickups, and maybe got the frets leveled, it'd cost quite a bit.. So, I saved up a bit, sold the toby, and found a really decent used 5 string trbII yamaha bass for like a little over $400.. For my tastes, the yamaha is much better.. But I'm sure that with the upgrades you made, the toby kicks ass =]
  3. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    what upgrades did you do to your tobias? electronic wise?
  4. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    I have a question. Where would you find the gear that you used to replace the gear on your Toby 6. I myself have one as my main bass, so I'd like it to be the best it can possibly be. Thanks.