Tobias pro basses any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by truckin88, Feb 9, 2005.

1. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The MusicYo "Tobias's" are made in Korea, cheaply, with Bartolini re-branded electronics also made in Korea.

Both the Lakland 55-01 and the G&L 2500 are far, far superior instruments for the money.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have to partially disagree.

Both the Lakland 55-01 and G&L Tribute L-2500 are of higher quality, but IMO the Toby's are actually quite nice for the money if you're looking for a neckthrough. They do seem to call for a electronics upgrade.

Truckin, do a search here on "Toby" and see what some of the owners say.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1 I own a Toby and it's a well made bass but the pre-amp is definitely lacking. I also own a Lakland Skyline 55-01 and well, for the money, it's a much better instrument.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I know a guy with a Toby Pro 6. It was ok for the money, but my 55-02 totally blows it away in sound and quality IMHO. While I'm not really partial to the tone of the Tribute, I do also think it's a better instrument for the money. I also felt the Toby Pro was quite heavy, which was kind of a big deal to me.
  6. FWIW:

The string spacing on the Korean Toby is quite narrow (about 5/8") whereas the spacing on the Lakland is wide (3/4").

I owned a Toby Deluxe ( the less expensive version of the pro) and it sounded great. There isn't much of a contest in terms of quality between the Toby, vs. G&L / Lakland, but the Toby Deluxe is no slouch in the tone department. It sounds dark and phat, with booty to spare.