Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by limp_dan, Oct 9, 2002.

1. limp_dan

limp_dan

Aug 7, 2002
    Australia
  2. I like how the pro 4 looks better than the pro4-B. Does the pro4-b come in flame maple top too?

Well.. the main -if not the only- difference between those two guys, besides from the wood of the body wings, is the asymetrical neck.. From my point of view is a very important factor that could worth the extra $100.. I dont know why they make so many more symetrical necks if asymetrical necks are better and making them asymetrical is not so difficult from making them symetrical... But any way, maybe in a 4 string, the difference in confort between those necks is not as noticeable as in a 5 or 6 string bass, but I would go for the pro 4-b because of it.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't have any experience with the 4B, but I have a Toby Pro 4. Just to clear things up - it doesn't have a flame maple top, the body wings are solid flame maple, all the way through.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the "b" in pro4-b stands for bubinga ;) just messin' with ya. no, you can't get that bass with a flame maple body. i'm pretty sure that the tobias basses, be it an old one, new one, mtd american or otherwise are the only basses that come with an asym neck as a standard feature. the musicyo tobiases are, at best, inconsistent in sound, playability and quality. these basses can be quite awesome if you get one of the good ones. their downfall is the lack of a good preamp and pickups, which can easily be changed out if they don't meet to your needs. great bass for the money, though. i like 'em ppersonally.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Any bass designed by Michael Tobias have the asymetrical neck. Check out the MTD Kingston, Heir, Saratogas as well as his American Series

Mike

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with a lot of this. I have one, and I've talked to a lot of people that own them, and I've never heard of any inconsistancies in playability and quality. The playability is top notch, and the quality of construction is as good as any bass in it's price range (and as good as most costing twice as much). I own a Lakland Skyline, an excellent bass in the same price range (actually a little higher) that is pretty much universally praised for it's playability and construction, and the Toby Pro 4 is every bit as well made and playable as the Lakland. Do you own one? What do you base your statement on? The preamp sucks, but the pickups are actually very good when used with a good preamp. I installed a Bartolini preamp, and the bass sounds great. A very good value for the money. With an extra $160 for a good preamp, you have a bass easily as good as most in the $1500 dollar range.

7. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Oh, yea, the quality of the materials is amazing for the price. Solid flame maple, and 5 piece wenge/maple neck. It even has threaded inserts for the control cavity cover. Unheard of in this price range.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i didn't mean to pee in your cornflakes without properly justifying my comments, man...no, i don't have one, but the previous bassist in the band i play in has three...a 4 and two 5 strings. the four string kills. it has emg pups and pre-. one of the 5ers has a really floppy b string, but the other one sounds great. the good sounding one has an emg pre- and stock pups whereas the other is all stock. the body wings on all three are kinda mismatched, but are close enough, i guess...i still dig 'em...

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    this one looks particularly yummy...

[​IMG]