Tobias Renegade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LarryJ, Nov 2, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I DId a search, not a whole lot... so the floor is yours-
    I went to look at some "accessories" and as is wont to happen took this bass down from the wall-Now mind you it needs to be set up to my exacting
    specifications as to strings, height, etc. BUT-
    HOLY &*^%$#^*! What a Killer Bass- Natural
    ash, I believe, with a really tight neck. Bartolinis,
    very nice controls, straightforward as I like it.
    Demo'd it thru a Trace-Elliot. Another thing I want-
    Damn GAS!
    Now I wonder what some other thoughts may be- I have personal issues with Gibson (involves employment!!) but this was a cool axe- It was marked at $2400, and doing some research, found that that was a ridiculous price, even at the 2K the guy said he would sell it for. Saw a mint used around for about $800 w/ gig bag.

Anybody love/hate theirs?
    Care to share?
  2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The Renegade was a step down from the Growler, with also an attempt (I suspect) to simplify the pickup switching that is on the Growler. Other then the pickups and switching, and the fact that Renegades have maple fingerboards, they are about the same...same body and neck. Both are really good for the bucks if you get ones that play good. Renegades often show up used in the 500-800 range.
  3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Yes, except for the set-up to my taste, this bass played great- I dug the compact size & feel, and the neck was killer (I like maple boards too.)
    You're spot-on about the pricing, I've seen a few used ones listed in the $500 & up range.
    Well, maybe when I'm ready this dealer will come to his senses. New, I imagine $1000 (new) would be a good offer (whether they'll take it or not). These don't seem to be flying out of the stores-
    I thought it was a great axe, though.
  4. Don't pay a dime over $650 for the 4-string and maybe $800 for the fiver.

If the Renegades are anything like the bitchin' Growler 4 a friend has, they're something.
  5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Per previous reply, I guess it is like the Growler, and I sure can say that this 4-string WAS some kinda something...I'm getting major stress not having it to play TO-NITE! On the Gig!!
    I've seen 3 for sale, ranging from $500-800,so I know the market for used.
    This was new, + I kinda hate to buy an axe sight unseen. When I get a little more cash (or raise my Visa limit) I think I can grind the delaer down, as like I mentioned these axes are not movin' like hotcakes.
    Damn! It was a KILLER bass!!!:cool:
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes, renegades are killer basses. I had never cared for toby basses, but tried one out at a music store for fun, that was about the only decent bass they had in there. WOW, daddy like! never got to plug it in ,but she had a good unplugged sound, great neck, great balance, great looks, and it was LIGHT. They have it tagged new for $1100ish I believe....nice bass.
  7. I tried a five string once, and wasn't inspired to plug it in. Partly because the string spacing was too tight, but mainly 'cause it felt, well, cheap.
    I like (four string) Growlers though.