1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Tobias "Standard" 5 string lined fretless Early 90's! Excellent!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by skb5string, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello!

Up for sale is my Early 90's Tobias Standard 5 string lined fretless. I believe it to be from 1991 or 92. Its in Excellent condition. Original Bart pups and electronics. Bart TCT 3 band pre (The mid pot is inside the control cavity, this is the way these were produced).

Its a fretless bass with a Pau Ferro fingerboard that had a clear coat applied, like a Pedulla PentaBuzz. The clear coat is in amazing condition. This fretless has tons of great "Mwah" character to it, punchy and a solid low end and sweet high end. The orginal bart TCT pre is AWSOME!

Its an Ash body with a maple core and bubinga stringers.

The standards were produced in that "Pre-Gibson era" or Burbank CA era, however you want to look at it. The bodies were milled in Japan and the rest of the work was completed by Mike Tobias and his crew in CA. Its a neck through instrument.

The line up for that time period was this:
    Standard
    Basic
    Classic
    Signature

$1100.00 shipped in the US.

Now for the pics!

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

Standard.jpg

photo3.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

2. Pm's replied!

3. ialma

ialma

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    did you apply the clear coat or it was factory applied ?
    BTW it seems to me the bass has been defretted.

4. I bought the bass just as it is. I'm not sure if the clear coat was done at Mikes shop. It was perfectly applied though either way.

There were only 400 of these made and a few were fretless. If it was defretted again an excellent job was done in my opinion:)

5. Kevin W Guin

Kevin W Guin Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    Here's a clip of a Stefan Rademacher solo playing a Tobias fretless 5 with Billy Cobham on drums. If that doesn't make you want one of these, nothing will!

Cheers.

6. Wow great clip! Thanks!

7. Kevin W Guin

Kevin W Guin Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    You know, I just noticed that your Barts don't seem to have the radius on them like other "vintage" Tobias basses. Are you sure these are the originals? I am thinking that maybe the Standards didn't have the radiused pickups stock. Maybe we would have to have the Tobias experts pipe in to figure that one out...

Thanks.

8. Yes they are original and you are correct the standards did not use the radius pickups

9. Naxalez

Naxalez

Mar 11, 2011
    California
    hereby to confirm they are original pick ups.
    the standards came with the flat top ones.

10. Thanks for the confirmation:) Friday before a long weekend bump!

11. bump for a GREAT fretless!

12. Memorial day bump! God bless our troops and all those who have fallen.

13. Hump day bump

14. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    a guy is selling one like yours and he posted a vid on youtube....

very nice looking bass...! good luck

15. Thanks for the post! I was thinking of doing a video but yup that is a Standard in the same configuration. Thanks again!

16. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Whats the string spacing on this?

17. Its a wilkinsons bridge I'll try and get accurate spacing but It's standard Tobias spacing

18. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    I play the one here today... very nice construction. the string spacing fells like 18mm which I like a lot.
    light ash wings on the one I tested and the neck contour is VERY nice on hand...

Im thinking buy the one here and put frets and a schaller 3d bridge as upgrades...

p.s: the flat barts are original....the one here has the same pups...

good luck!

19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Wish-I-had-the-money bump.

20. Sunday night Bumpage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.