1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobias Standard 5 string. Thoughts...price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Aug 10, 2007.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am looking at picking up a used Tobias Standard 5 string from around 1991 and made in Japan. Anybody have any thoughts on this bass? I was thinking of picking up a Peavey Cirrus 5...but if I could get the Tobias for not much more should I do it? The going price on the Tobias is $900...is that good? Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks!

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I personally think you would be better off with the Peavy Cirrus 5. The old overseas made Tobias's are just not very good, where as the USA made Peavy Cirrus basses are really great.

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    The Peavey Cirrus that I am looking at was originally bought by me back in 1999 and then sold to a friend locally in 2003. I am now considering buying it back because I need a 5 string again...but I saw the Tobias and I always heard really good things about the earlier ones pre-nashville. I've played a few Tobias basses over time but none that are as old as the one I am looking at. Thanks

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Pre-Gibson Tobias basses made in the USA by Mike Tobias and his team are great basses, but usually go for around $2000. The models that were made with overseas production in Japan and Korea are not the same quality at all, and sold at a much lower pricepoint.

5. musiqisme26

musiqisme26

Jan 11, 2007
    NYC
    i own a tobias standard and they are as close to a pre-gib tobias as you will ever find, even more so than the gibson made tobias. these basses are way better quality than a korean made toby and shouldnt even be compared to each other.

these basses were started in japan but finished in the states by mike and his crew. they have all the same electronics shared in the pre-gib basses.

6. I'd save a few bucks and get the Cirrus. I own 5 of 'em, along with 3 USA Millennium basses and they're about as consistent as can be. I'm not a big fan of the Gibson Tobias low B string. The standard Cirrus low B is good, once you replace the Peavey strings.

7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have Owned both the Cirrus, and Standard Tobias. The first thing you may want to consider the string spacing you like, the Tobias has a narrow string spacing compared to the Cirrus. As far a the Standard being a good bass or not. IT IS A GREAT BASS! The bass is solid and can hold it's own. Don't be fooled by the fact it was made in Japan. I had a conversation with Mike a few weeks ago about these basses. He they are "great basses" and I had asked "Bob Lee, who used to work for Mike in the Pregibson days, and who also owns one as well, and in an Email, he says good things about this bass as well!

and to quote the previous post by "musiqisme26"

"i own a tobias standard and they are as close to a pre-gib tobias as you will ever find, even more so than the gibson made tobias. these basses are way better quality than a korean made toby and shouldnt even be compared to each other.

these basses were started in japan but finished in the states by mike and his crew. they have all the same electronics shared in the pre-gib basses."

So don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the Cirrus at all. they totally tow diff basses. I am just addressing the concerns about the Tobias, and if Mike, and one of his original crew member, says they are great basses, well...nough said.:cool:

If you were to put them in the which pre-gibson basses are the best, it would look like this from bottom to top

1: TOBIAS STANDARD
    2: TOBIAS BASIC
    3: TOBIAS CLASSIC
    4: TOBIAS SIGNATURE>>>>>BEING AT THE TOP

The standard bass just does not have the fancy woods as the other Pre gibson basses. It is just a solid bass! PLUS IT HAS THE ACTIVE/PASSIVE SWITCH, AND THIS BASS SOUNDS GREAT IN BOTH!!!!
    PEACE!

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Everything I have read about the Standards has been good, with the one exception of the above post, so I am not sure if he has them confused with another model from a later time. Standards were made before Mr Tobias actually left the company, crafted in Japan from quality components and IIRC inspected/set up in the US by Tobias crew. Mike himself has said complimentary things about them. The Standard should not be confused with the Korean Musicyo basses. If it's in good shape, I'd think $900 is a good price, I have seen them go for more.

Made in Japan is not really a negative comment. There are currently and have been for some time some great Japanese made instruments of various brands (sometimes considered higher quality than their US made counterparts) , and these days they do not come cheap.

9. I got the quote below from the MTD site. See the 2nd paragraph about the Standards (my bolding added):

After several attempts to move the business to larger, better equipped facilities, I sold Tobias Guitars to Gibson on 1/1/90. The first Tobias Gibson serial number was 1094. At that point, Gibson was instrumental in moving us to a bigger shop in Burbank and setting us up with a great spray booth and dust collection system. We finally met So Cal safety codes. Basses built during 1990-1992 era were built initially by the same crew that had helped establish Tobias Basses as one of the most sought after basses on the planet. We added several people during 1990 and ended up with a great 10-man shop.

Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We had 110 "Model T" basses made for us by a very fine builder in New England, and then we got the Terada factory in Nagoya, Japan to make the "Standard" bass for us. This was and is a great bass, but the $/yen ratio killed the project. There were about 400 Standards