Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Super B? anyone with any info...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguppy, Dec 26, 2005.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Right after Mike transferred the operation (initially quite faithfully) to Nashville, the bolt on craze hit. Several of the "boutique builders introduced bolt on models. For Tobias, at this point the Gibson version, it was the Killer B. I believe that is what this model actually is. Some of the early ones were decent players.

This one looks a bit deluxe with the woods. However, I would be cautious about lacewood on a bolt on. Lacewood is the "styrofoam" of woods, and doesn't have a lot of tonal goodness, IME. I would want to play such a bass before buying.

2. As bucephylus says, the bass isn't a "Super B", it's a "Killer B".

3. +1 Killer B

4. The early Killer B's with the single coil (or split coil pickups) were very nice sounding instruments.... and IMO where in the same tone family as Michael's current USA MTD line of instruments. Later on, they changed the pickup design to, I believe, a humbucker. They looked the same, but it took all the growl and aggressiveness out of the instrument, and took to back to more of the traditional Tobias sound (which, of course, is wonderful in its own way).

I owned a lacewood model with the original pickups for quite a while, and it was a wonderful instrument IMO.

5. thanks all for the Tobias (ID this bass) lesson. Killer B it is.