Tobias Toby 5 String Bass Info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Greetings,

Just about a month ago I purchased a very clean Tobias 5 string bass. I was not quite sure which model it was but I believe that the bass I now have is a Toby 5. I know that this is a Korean made bass, I even tried to research the serial number but with no real luck so far.

I'd like to know if there is an online sight that I can use to get more info regarding this bass. Also I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that either has or had this bass, if do have one let me know what you thought of it. Also if you decided to keep it did you do any mods to it.

Thanks again and everyone stay safe!!!
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I had the Toby Pro 6 for a short while, it was really good bass for the money. The playability was nice, and the fit/finish was good for the price range. If I would have kept it, I would have changed out the pickups and electronics.
  3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I had one but I gave it to my son. he still has it and it plays great. You will often find that folks speak ill of the electronics in these basses. I think the 5 string with the jazz style pick ups have a little better sound. My son has been playing mostly guitar lately so the Toby5 sits around the studio. I swear it sounds better the older the strings get.:)
    I currently have the 6 string neck through Toby and I replaced the preamp and pickups with Bartolinis and it is a great bass. It plays very smooth with low action and sounds nice with the electronics upgrade. It is my primary bass. I have played basses costing 3 times as much and I still like mine better.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have the bolt on, JJ pickup version. I bought it in 2000. Very nice bass for the money. The only issue I have is the low output level. No other problems to report. These are Gibson products and not the 'real' Tobias made instruments. They were sold on the MusicYo website. Now no longer available.
  5. Thanks Guys,

I think that for the money I spent this is a really nice bass. The one thing that I would like to change is the pickups, even though this bass uses a battery. I like to have it put out more. I really love this thing!!! :hyper:

I'd like to know if anyone knows the exact specs for this bass. I really want to look into upgrading the electronics and pickups. Thanks again!
  6. I really wish I would have gotten one of these basses while MusicYo was still selling them. I have heard that once you change the preamp on these basses, the stock Toby pickups sing like crazy!!! (Aguilar 2 band was installed on the review I read.) I think you guys are lucky as all hell to have one of these basses, I've been GASing for one ever since I first started playing. If any of you ever get tired of a 5 string, let me know :D

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I looked around on the web for a while and couldn't find the spec sheet. I think the preamps are made by MightyMite but Im not sure about the pickups. You could go to and email them. They might be able to email you the spec sheet they used to have posted.
    I don't recall the spec sheet listing pickup sizes but you could always measure them yourself.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've sampled this bass and I agree that it is a fantastic bass. It feels, sounds, and looks great! But it weighs a TON!!!! :p
  9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Hi Phil :)
    Yeah most of the guys at the VA/MD/DC GTG that dared to lift it also thought it played nice.:D
  10. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I ordered a translucent red Toby Pro-5 a couple years ago. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with it.

The good: it's GORGEOUS . . . looks and feels like a $1500 bass, and I paid $450 for it new; it's very ergonomic and light, and, considering I'm primarily a 4-string player, I don't have much trouble switching between a 4-string and this Tobias; the pickups are surprisingly good; it stays in tune for a long time.

The bad: the preamp is nasty nasty nasty . . . so much so that it makes the above-average pickups sound like crap on most settings; also, the bridge is kinda flimsy, and every B-string I've tried hasn't fit properly through the bridge-loading-hole, sich that the ball-end doesn't sit in the pocket, unlike the rest of the strings. Maybe it's just D'addarios . . . I'll have to try a different brand.

I'll probably hold onto it, just because it's so beautiful and easy to play, but I'll definitely be replacing the electronics in the future, and probably the bridge as well (unless a change of strings solves that problem). I may even sell the stock pickups and buy some Bartolinis if a change of electronics doesn't do it enough good. But really, considering all the other basses in the price range, I don't think anything comes close (or came close, as it's not being made anymore) to this bass.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've had no hardware issues on mine. Just the low output which I remedy but plugging into the passive input on my amps! I agree, mine stays in tune! Just to clarify, there were 2 models. The Toby Pro which was a neckthrough and had 2 humbuckers. The Toby Deluxe (which I own) was a bolt-on and has 2 jazz pickups.
  12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Good job Detective Smidgley!!!
    I was trying to find this for him but you got it.
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's a shot of mine.
  14. ...Does this bring a glimmer of hope to us who missed out on the Toby Pros??? Or is this totally meaningless???

15. Or there's this one > < - this page is so old that they act like they still have them for sale. Maybe they do. Anyone want to PayPal them 800 bucks to find out?

Here's a picture of mine:
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's meaningless. Toby's are no longer sold on MusicYo. I think that's a cached page.

Still want a Tobias?

Gonna have to spend a little more!
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    It's a pretty nice bass for the money. Bass Player magazine gave them a good review. Here's mine:

Attached Files:

18. No... Not really... I mean, yes I do, but I want a Toby... lol..

[EDIT: Does anyone know of any place that still retails these fine basses? Or has Gibson put the proverbial bullet in the Toby Pro line?]

19. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh

I has a bass just like this one until I got my fortress MM and then an army of customs

And I play hard slap, tap and fast fingerstyle in rock and I'll tell ya it was a great bass!
    5 string just like the one above
    I actually wish I still had it, I too would have swapped out the electronics but it was well made and played well too!

Rock on!