Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tobias toby 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyburn, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Over the last year and a half that i have been playing an instrument with real conviction i have really enjoyed it,, i own a fender 4 string jazz, modded. Many of you who have replied to my post will know,, anyway, Guitarist(UK publication) was delivered to me this morning by my mum,, this enspired me to get up as it is a study week and i should make an effort to do some work., nahh,, so i read the guiatrist mag,, they had a nice,, brief review on the tobias toby 5 production model and it got a very good review they couldn't find anything wrong with it,, it's very well priced £415 rrp, ive been looking at 5 strings as i am eager to challenge myself and iam a very big dude and want something bigger to play( see my other post " big bassists?")

so what does anyone think of this bass, i haven't played one yet, it'll probably be hard to find one in the local music shop,, but i really like the styling and the spec

can anyone come up with a better 5 string in the price range

also pros and cons of the toby5?

cheers tyybrun

2. ssbbass

ssbbass

Nov 24, 2000
  3. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I posted a thread also asking about the Toby and got some pretty bad responses, among the complaints: cheap sounding electronics, and tight string spacing. It was recommended to me to check out the Cort Curbow.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

ssbass, the only place that you can buy them is Musicyo, period. There is no 'best price I have found so far'.

Now if you are confusing them with a good quality MIA Gibson Tobias, or the much better quality pre Gibson Tobias, yes, they are a lot cheaper, but they are not the same bass. Not even close.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    MusicYo raised their prices...no surprise there. I bought a 6 for $499 afew months ago, now they're over $600.

I didn't keep mine , but my experience with MusicYo was flawless. I'd buy from them again.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I bought the Toby Pro 5 model from Musicyo $469, but they have gone up since. I wanted another 5-string with closer string spacing, and the price was right. It's not a $3000 instrument, but it's not a POS either. I haven't found anything wrong with it. Plays good, sounds good. I like mine.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I guess I should add... no problems with Musicyo. Got here quicker than I thought it would.

9. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The toby pro-4 I got from musicyo is decent after i tweaked it a bit. I like it, no complaints here.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

I really think the Toby's are some of the best deals out there, alot of bang for the $. My only complaint is the electronics, but that is a complaint common for all basses under $700-900. I'd say go for it.