Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Toby Bass Line? Opinions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Nov 23, 2004.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'd like to find out some detailed infromation about these basses. They're available only through Musicyo.com. I played one briefly and thought it had an incredible tone, but it was for about 2 minutes and I couldn't tweak any settings or slap.

I'm looking for a bass to replace my current Schecter Elite-4 with EMG35J's. These basses have "Custom Tobias Soapbars" which can mean anything. I'd love to find out what you guys think of this bass line's tone.

-Eric.

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'd be careful, I hear the Tobys have terrible preamps. I'd make sure I'd get to play one for more than two minutes to make a decision.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    The preamps aren't terrible, they just don't have a very strong signal for an active bass. The quality of the tone is fine. I used to have one and sold it to one of my students. It's a fine bass for the price.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You are correct about that! I own one. It's a great playing bass but if I'm using my active input on my amp, I literally have to turn the volume up halfway to get it to cut through. I posted a question on another thread if it was okay to use the passive input and I was told it was okay so that's what I plan to do from now on until I have the pre-amp and pups replaced.

5. If you want a Toby, look for a MTD, the real Tobias company...

Gibson kills all good companies...

6. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I had one, I sold it. Wasn't the greatest thing.

I can second the low output. My passive basses were louder. Not all that bad playing wise, felt pretty good, but It just wasn't all that. They were a better value a few years back when they were about 2 bills cheaper new. Look for a used one.

Troll

7. By used, I assume he means before the buyout. Pre-Gibson Tobias basses are a lot better...

8. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Or a pre-Gibson Tobias. They are just as real as MTDs.

9. I played one and it was great.............I can't see why people dont ike em, the one I played rocked.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I know that there are more happy Toby users here. Come on out of the woodwork! They look great to me, though I haven't played one.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's my Toby on the right. Mine is a Deluxe [single coil J's and bolt on neck]. The Pro is neck thru and has soap bars.

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    My problem with them is they are made cheaply, are now overpriced, but were fair a few years ago when they were new on musicyo... and the tops are fake (pull the truss cover, you'll see what I mean). The one I had had screws and set screws on the bridge that constantly came loose, and the fretwire is real soft and starts to wear quickly.

Not really worth the cash anymore. Save up 3 more bills and buy a Cirrus.

Troll

13. I like the Toby deluxe in that photo. I never heard they had fake tops or anything. I never played one. But I love how the MTDs and Toby's have the cool Tobaisian lines: small bodies and upper horn.

14. Yes. I know.

Not that post-Gibson Tobias basses are bad, just not as good for more money...

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Mine is about 5 years old. I got mine when MusicYo started selling them. Maybe the newer ones are made cheaply but mine is made well. Have not had one problem with it mechanically, electronically or body wise!! Not one screw has fallen out or even come loose and I gigged it extensively for 5 straight years.

16. Yup - I gigged one exactly like yours (in natural finish) for 2 years. Everyone loved the sound of that bass. Never a problem - just good, meaty tone all night long. For very little money ;) .

17. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Sorry about such a late post, but I figured I'd jump in. I have 2 Tobias Toby Pro-5's (1 for 4 years, the other for 2). One has nice flame maple body wings and the other has bubinga body wings with a slight quilt to it. Neither of these basses have a 'fake top'. I've gigged with them both extensively and are my main axes (i take my Warwick Thumb Bolt-on 5 for backup only). I've played a handful pre-gibson Tobias', and they're extremely nice boutique basses, but expensive. The Toby line is very much NOT a boutique bass (then again neither is MTD's Kingston or Heir basses..which are both higher priced than the Toby's, but nice nonetheless), nor expensive (I bought both of mine for under 5 Benji's, one brand new, the other barely used). In fact, I would testify that they are more of a workhorse instrument. Sure, they're not like the old pre-gibson basses, but I wouldn't dare put a pre-gibson Tobias thru the hell my Toby's have been thru.
    And don't let the weak pre-amp scare you away from getting one of these basses. The tone is great, but the output level is kinda quiet. Its easily fixed by bumping up the gain on your amp. I recently replaced 1 preamp with a fresh Bartolini NTBT pre. If the low output bothers you that much, its an easy fix, and you can usually find a NTBT pre for $50 or less used (I paid $85 for mine new).
    Of course, this is all in my humble opinion. :spit:

Also, I wanted to point out that I've never had any type of issue whatsoever with either of my Toby's. Ever.

18. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I have to agree. I have a Toby Pro 5 in natural with a wenge neck. It is a little older and still looks and plays great! The action is nice, the neck is slick, and the weight is easy on the shoulder. As stated above, the pre is a little soft. But, it still has a nice tone. I can't speak for the new ones, but the one I have is well worth the money I paid for it. Nothing fake about it.

On another note, I have a Toby Renegade 4 that was made in the US. Also easy on the shoulder and plays nice with huge tone (Bartolinis with pre). The craftsmanship on this bass is a little lacking on the neck. But overall a nice bass for the price, too.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks, I knew there were some very happy Toby users out there. If I was in the market at their price range they would definitely be on my list. The Toby-Pro 6 is only $529! Is it just me or does the PRO-5F Fretless 5-String at the musicyo site look funny? It's got one quilted body wing and one flamed one! Wack!!!!