Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Toby Pro 6, or a Cort Curbow 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 28, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    These are both resonably simmilar in price, about $600, and I'm wondering if you guys have any opinions on them. I like both pretty well, but now it's sorta like "ok...now which one!?" I'm kinda leaning towards the Toby, but that's just because I like the body shape just a little better.

So, for better or for for worse, which one is my better choice and more bang for my buck?

2. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Well, its a very debatable concept. Well acually, Im was conidering the same two basses and Im just replying for some e-mail notification when someone else replies. ;)

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, I would lean to the Cort Curbow 6 String.
    I have a Cort Curbow 6, and a Tobias Toby Pro.
    Well.. the Tobias is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so i will be a little biased to the Cort.

1) The curbow has better pickups. (Bartolini) and a better preamp, wich is 3 Band.. VS 2 Band on the Tobias.

2) The fretwork is excellent on the Cort.
    At least mine has a great LOW action , and its playability is great.

3) The bridge on the Curbow is very solid and impressive, while it has fast releasing string holders.

4) The tone of the Cort is very Hi-Fi, not that woody because it is synthetic. (I will tell you how the Toby sounds tomorrow night.)

This is my Opinion at this moment.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    ohh I forgot.
    You can get the Toby only from music yo at $629
    while you can get a Cort Curbow 6 string at Ebay for about $480

I have seen many Cort Curbows in Ebay, and they dont sell too high because people dont know those are great instruments.

5. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Hi...I just won an eBay auction for a new Cort Curbow 6...I got it for $420.00. The sound out of this bass is beautiful to my ears (totally subjective concept, right? maybe you like a different sound)...you can hear it at http://www.marsmusic.com. Like lfabara was saying, very hi-fi and clear. Freakin' luthite body, ebanol fingerboard, freakin' Bartolini electronics, nice tight B-string! It can't be beat for value, IMO...

BTW, lfabara, I noticed that I got my Cort Curbow 6 on eBay from the same seller as you got yours, so I know I'm in for a treat. I can't believe I was even considering a Dean Edge 6 or Ibanez SR 406. This bass is sooo sweet!

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cool!!
    You got it from Greg!!
    He is nice to deal with.
    BTW.. whats a Treat?? (My english is not that good)

Of course it is sweet. It kicks Ibanez and Deans AS*!!!

7. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Well, in the U.S., if you say you are in for a treat, it means you are in for a rewarding experience. So basically, something very good.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    About the Corts:
    I like my bass to move some mud. Low. REAL low tones. Can the cort Deliver? If it's sythetic can I still get my low end, not just mid?

Do they have a lot of fret buzz? I like low action, and hate the damned fret buzz that comes with it. Are they good about it?

I've also heard that the corts are just about the thinnest and fasted neck I'm gonna find. True?

About the Toby:

Still waiting.

9. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Well, generally, in my experience, huge low end is more a factor of your amp and speaker size, as well as EQ settings.

I would say for huge low end go for a Ampeg amp (15" speaker minimum), and attenuate your mids and highs, while boosting your lows a bit.

The things you want out of a bass are playability, a particular sound, and such. The Cort Curbow 6 has those and at a couple hundred bucks less than a Tobias, but it may not be the sound you want; it's definitely not a common bass sound. It's a different bass sound, and that's what appeals to me, that it is different in a good way. Lows are powerful, mids are punchy, and highs have the sound of an electric acoustic guitar. Plus, there is a clearness in the sound and a balance. Something on the C is going to have the same authority as something on the B.

As far as the Tobias, I can't help you as I've never touched one or heard one. I'm sure they are good instruments though.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I guess the low end quiestion was more or a question about the electronics. Warm and punchy like a Jazz, or kinda chunky like a P?

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    What is all this I hear about Bartolini pickups/electronics on the Cort Curbows? I have seen nothing of Bartolini in any product specs I've viewed...

12. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Well, these are the specs on the one I won from eBay:

BRAND NEW CURBOW 6 STRING BASS IN ELECTRIC BLUE FINISH, HAS ACTIVE *BARTOLINI* ELECTRONICS, LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER. SUPER KILLER 6 STRING BASS WITH PAPERS!! HEAVY DUTY GIG BAG INCLUDED..

13. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    I'd have to say its quite a bit closer to a Jazz than a Precision, but really nothing like either one...if that makes any sense.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Funny, I tried to check out the specs on the Cort website, but they haven't got the six string model listed...? What's going on? The fours and fives are delievered with "MightyMite" pickups, though.

And, hey, there's a BIG difference in a "Brand new Curbow 6 string bass" and a "Brand new CORT Curbow 6 string bass" - the man who sold the eBay bass doesn't seem to know what colour green is, when he's saying "Bartolini". Or...?

15. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Well, we'll just see what it has when I get it, now won't we? I'm sure lfabara can tell you before though, since he bought a Cort Curbow 6 from the same dealer. Tell him like it is lfabara!!

P.S. I have total confidence in Greg; he has great feedback.

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ok.
    It was weird when I didnt found any information about the Cort Curbow 6 String.
    Well... The main models from Cort are the 4, 5 string in Fretted and Fretless options. Both come with Mighty Mite Pickups.
    The Cort Curbow 6 String is a special model not found everywhere. You can get one at http://www.marsmusic.com (forget about the specs.. they have them posted wrong)
    http://www.planetbass.com and of course sometimes at E-bay.

The Cort Curbow 6 String comes with Bartolini Humbucker.. Mighty Mite Electronics (As far as I can distingish)

Also.. NO FUxxoring Fret Buzz at all.. , and I do like really low action.
    Why is this? Ebonol my friends.. Resin is easier to work with.. so i think this helps on the good fretwork it has.

Also.. a CURBOW 6 String bass would cost $4500 and is it Wood made with a ROCKWOOD Neck. soo I dont think confusion is possible here.

Questions are welcome.

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Still seems odd to me, that the supposed manufacturer of a product won't admit he actually is the manufacturer of that product... if the model isn't discontinued, I can't see reason why NOT putting it up on the website. And what do you mean by a "special model" - if it isn't mass produced, it has to be either a custom model or a limited edition series, and we both know it's neither, no?

This whole deal is quite confusing, if you ask me.

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It doesnt mean that they dont admit they are the manufacturer of that bass.
    BUt let me ask you something.
    Would I buy a bass with no information of procedence? If it plays, sounds, looks, feels good... I WOULD NOT CARE AT ALL.

It is special... since no other Cort Curbows have Bartolini's.
    Also.. I know a "Fender Jazz Special" And it is mass produced.

I prefeer a good sounding/playing bass than something that is a vox-populi model.

I did find it strange that there is no information about it anywhere. But i just happen to know many people that have those.

Dave Tomassi has 2 of em, just as an example.
    I have one..
    SNFJTU has one too...
    A friend of mine in Colombia has one..
    etc etc.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know why you can't find info on the 6 string on the web, but I have played 4 and seen about 10 of these at the Mars locations in the Dallas area, and while I don't know about the preamp, they DO have 1 Bartolini soapbar in the sweet spot.

Cort makes pretty good basses, but they are a strange company. Like the fact that they only make the Groove Tools in 2 colors, when Mr Conklin himself has suggested to them that they would sell better if they came in a variety of colors.

20. Well, sorry guys, but I find the Cort Mighty Mite preamp is ok for mids and bottom, but the treble control is VERY sizzly, not very useable. Also I think the string spacing at the bridge is too close for my taste. If you like close string spacing, then with a preamp change it will be a very good bass.