Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tobias toby pro-6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Mar 27, 2002.

1. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    There are already a number of threads here on TB regarding the Toby Pro (You may want to do a search for "Toby"). The bottom line...

- Not bad for the price, definately better than the Ibanez "SR" series of sixers in the same range.

- The Electronics is the WEAKEST LINK. A number of people have either upgraded the EQ to a Bartolini or other 3rd party module. Still others have simply bypassed the EQ all together, wiring the pickups directly to the output jack and have noticed an improvement in the tone.

- No, it doesn't compare the older Tobiases or any of the current offerings by MTD, but if your current experience with basses has been with the $1000 and under crowd, you should be happy with the Toby.

Peace,

- Frank.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would take those HC reviews with a grain of salt. Most of them seem to be from people who just got a new bass, and think it's wonderful. I own the Pro-5 model and it looks and plays great, and sounds pretty good. A better preamp would make this a badass bass. I like the narrower string spacing and that is what first drew them to my attention. I wanted a five that wasn't so wide. I have had problems wih CTS in the past (requiring surgery on my right hand). I think you would be hard pressed to find a better looking, neck-thru instrument for that amount of money.
    I mainly play Fenders and I carry either the Pro-5 or my DR-5 for the 2 or 3 songs where I need a five (and as a backup).

3. Toby Pro Search

I have a toby pro-5. I like how it sounds in my hands. But I've had a couple of years of tweaking, playing, different stringing, truss adjustments, saddle adjustments, string height changing, etc. Plus it's narrower spacing fits my fingers/hands perfectly. The preamp is poop, but I run it flat and lean a little on the bridge pickup and it's all good.

4. thanks guys
    actually i'm not too worried about the pre-amp because even with the active jackson concert series i play now i run it flat because i do all my eq work at my amp (trace elliot 1215 combo)...i'm more worried about it being comfortable to play

5. It has fairly narrow string spacing, 15.5mm. I replaced the bridge with a Gotoh 501 unit with 17mm spacing, which made it much more playable (for me). There is enough spare width in the neck to do this. The pups are fairly weak, they are Cort's Mighty Mites, same as Ibanez 6's, but branded Tobias. The preamp is OK but not wonderful, but what do you expect for this price? All in all, the bass is a very good platform for upgading. I did this by initially replacing the preamp with a Seymour Duncan, but this yielded only OK results, so I replaced the pups and Pre with Bartolinis. At the same time, I lined the cavity with copper foil, replaced the bridge, and replaced the tuners with Gotoh GB71's, and had a luthier do a pro job on the frets. Now it's a monster machine!