1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tobias Toby-Pro Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What's everyone opinion on these. They seem to be an incredible value for what you get. Neck thru 5 piece neck, flame maple, etc.... Link

What is everyone's opinon of these?

Thanks,

2. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have the fretless version. I have placed a Bart preamp and a Bone Nut on it and a pro setup. Still NOT happy. I think there are better buys out there. Will never buy a bass off the net again.
    :(

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I guess the ole' saying "if looks too good to be true them it probably isn't" applies then? Anyone out there with one of these?

4. I have a toby pro 6. To me, it's a looker, not a cooker. There was a pretty good discussion on this a month or two back. Lots of opinions on both sides. Search posts using the word Toby. Plus, there's a picture of my red toby 6 linked to one of my posts.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Toby Pro 4. I like everything about it except the preamp. With the volume all the way up it is about half the volume of my other basses, including passive ones. I plan on installing a Bartolini preamp which will solve that problem. Everything else I like. A very well made bass for the price.

6. I recently bought a Toby Pro 5 to have as my backup for my Zon Sonus 5 Custom. I really like it. The output is very low, but if you have a decent preamp in your rack you should be able to compensate with little problem.

That being said, the first thing I did was call Grasshopper at BassCentral and ordered some custom Bartollini pickups and the Bart HR4.6 on board preamp. I received the pickups and pre but have not gotten around to installing yet. Honestly, I am pretty happy with the tone with all the stock electronics. I just wanted to get the output up to be closer to my Zon so if I had to switch basses in the middle of a gig I wouldn't have to mess with my gain on my amp much, you know... The Bart pickups will have a nice focused mid range so I am hoping that will bring out the character of the neck-thru/wenge construction as well.

I put some D'Addario Prism stings on it yesterday and it sings.