Tobias Toby-Pro Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What's everyone opinion on these. They seem to be an incredible value for what you get. Neck thru 5 piece neck, flame maple, etc.... Link

What is everyone's opinon of these?

2. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have the fretless version. I have placed a Bart preamp and a Bone Nut on it and a pro setup. Still NOT happy. I think there are better buys out there. Will never buy a bass off the net again.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I guess the ole' saying "if looks too good to be true them it probably isn't" applies then? Anyone out there with one of these?
  4. I have a toby pro 6. To me, it's a looker, not a cooker. There was a pretty good discussion on this a month or two back. Lots of opinions on both sides. Search posts using the word Toby. Plus, there's a picture of my red toby 6 linked to one of my posts.
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Toby Pro 4. I like everything about it except the preamp. With the volume all the way up it is about half the volume of my other basses, including passive ones. I plan on installing a Bartolini preamp which will solve that problem. Everything else I like. A very well made bass for the price.
  6. I recently bought a Toby Pro 5 to have as my backup for my Zon Sonus 5 Custom. I really like it. The output is very low, but if you have a decent preamp in your rack you should be able to compensate with little problem.

That being said, the first thing I did was call Grasshopper at BassCentral and ordered some custom Bartollini pickups and the Bart HR4.6 on board preamp. I received the pickups and pre but have not gotten around to installing yet. Honestly, I am pretty happy with the tone with all the stock electronics. I just wanted to get the output up to be closer to my Zon so if I had to switch basses in the middle of a gig I wouldn't have to mess with my gain on my amp much, you know... The Bart pickups will have a nice focused mid range so I am hoping that will bring out the character of the neck-thru/wenge construction as well.

I put some D'Addario Prism stings on it yesterday and it sings.