Tobias "toby"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassics, Nov 27, 2000.

1. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I'm thinking about getting a new bass. I want to move to a five string, but I (like most musicians I know) am poor.
    I simply can't afford the Ken Smith BSR that I dream of.
    I've noticed the Tobias "toby", 35" scale length, active,
    and one of the better names in the business, not to mention the price of under $500.00! it sounds to good to be true,
    does anyone have one, or has anyone played one? How can they produce a bass with these features for this price?
    Is this one of the best deals of the century, or is this
    Tobias's first junkpile?
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    First, the Toby is not 35"... It is 34"
    Second, it is manufactured by Gibson.
    It is made in Korea.
    It is CRAP!!
    I had one and sold it to get another Cort Curbow.

Want a Good Cheap Bass?
    Get a Cort Curbow!! for less than $500
    Or you can talk with Greg Curbow at to get one direct.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't confuse this bass with one made by Michael Tobias, while it may have the name, he now has his own company at, and has not been associated with the 'Tobias' brand for several years.

For the money, this is a pretty good bass, the general complaints seem to be that the electronics are not that great(very common in this price range, that is always where manufacturers of low priced basses cut corners) and the string spacing will more than likely be tighter than you are used to on a 4 string, although if you have small hands you may like this. But it is probably too tight for aggressive slapping, unless you are way above average at that skill and used to tight spacings.

For the electronics, there is an easy fix - replace them as soon as you can afford to. Put Bartolini pickups and preamp in the bass(which is what genuine pre Gibson Tobias' and new MTDs feature) and you would have a pretty nice bass for around $750 - $800.

As for the neck, not so easy to fix, as in impossible. If you don't like the string spacing, nothing you can do about it except sell the bass.

Other decent 5's in this price range include the Fender MIM Jazz 5, better spacing and pickups, but floppy B string, Yamaha RBX765(well, it's about $80 more) wide spacing and quiet, if generic sounding pickups, and good B string, the Peavey Fury series, decent electronics and B string, kinda tight spacing but not as tight as the Toby, and here is another vote for the Cort Curbow 5 string, decent spacing, good B, decent electronics, one of the best low priced 5's on the market IMHO, but be advised that it has a synthetic body and fingerboard, if you like the sound of wood this bass doesn't have it.
  4. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I kinda figured, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. thanks for the response, I do play a lot of slap, along with fingerstyle and tap. I tried the Fender
    Jazz deluxe V, and didn't care for the very high action, and as you mentioned, Embellisher, the B string just wasn't
    right, loose, floppy, dead, whatever. I have not had the opportunity as yet to try the Cort Curbow, but I'm definantly going to try to change that. I've also tried
    a few Ibanez SR's, I thought it was fairly comfortable to play, string spacing was tolerable, with a ton of bottom end, and respectable mids, but a little thin on the high end. I suppose I could EQ that. but not until I try some more basses, like the Cort.
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You will love that Cort Curbow.
    Believe me.