Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have just got a used Tobias Toby Pro 5 (got it too cheap to refuse). Ive heard that the Pre amp is the weak link in this bass, so does any one have any suggestions?? Pre-amp and possibly pups too.

Chris

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    barts pups and the new bart 4.3 preamp...it has push/pull active passive, a mid freq. selector which is push/pull, too, i think, treble, bass and a stacked volume/pan...it uses stacked pots, so you don't have to drill. that pre- has 4 knobs.

3. There ya go, that'll do just fine. You'll prolly be okay w/o the P/u upgrade also. But, preamp needs to go.

I put the SD Basslines STC3p Preamp in mine, after some tweaks it works great.

The p/u's are a little underpowered though, so consider that. A full bart treatment would be like $300 or so, SD preamp is $100.

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Thanks for the info guys, are the tobias pups a 'standard' size, ive seen a couple of tobys fitted with EMGs that havnt quite fitted.

I'll look into getting the preamp fitted ASAP, the pups l8r.

Thanks

Chris

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yes, the barts are a direct replacement for tobias basses. that's what tobiases used originally, and all tobias basses pups have the same dimensions, from what i understand.

6. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    do you have the model numbers for the pups and eq????

Thanks

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you can go to the bartolini website and go to "selecting pickups/electronics" and you will get a silhouette of the correct pickups...from there, you can match it to the pickups in the catalog. the shapes are distinct and easy to pick out. there are several different pre-'s you can go with. do you wany a volume/volume vice a volume/pan setup? do you want a mid control vice sweepable mids with a selectabel center freq.? there are 7 different pre- models with a 4 knob setup.

preamp page --click--

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I tried the tobias at practice today, and i couldnt believe it, the pre amp wasnt even outputing enuff to trigger my synth pedal (even with the sensitivity on full).

I need a new pre-amp asap

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    a friend has offered to loan me a yamaha NE1 (stomp box pre amp thing), will this work to increase my signal into my synth pedal?????

This is only a quick fix until i sort out the pre-amp for my bass.

Chris

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it should work to boost the signal enough to trigger your synth.

11. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    thanks

12. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    My local store gets great deals on Seymour Duncan, so i've ordered myself a pair of Phase II active Soapbars and a STC-3 pre amp.

They should be here by the weekend.....

All i need it to find someone to fit them..... or is it not too hard to do yourself (i put my Quarter Pounder in my P-bass, but ive never done a active setup), any helpful hints???

13. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    well the basslines active soapbars are in, together with a steve bailey pre and it sounds Sweet....... the mid boost is very useful, still need to adjust the pup heights a little.... its turned a half decent bass in to a killer, it gives the warwick a run for its money..... I actually prefer the maple and wenge combination, very SS1.

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, right on...glad to hear it worked out for you, man

15. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    thanks for all the help

16. Cool. What were the Pickup model numbers on the order form? Did the P'ups fit the hole location and still look good??? This is super news.

17. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    you're forgetting the PHOTOS!

so if you do all the math, the whole bass costed you how much?

18. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    The pickups were Basslines ASB2-5s and i ordered a STC-3a pre-amp, but they sent a STC-3aSB (Steve Bailey model), they told me to just install the steve bailey and its easy to just swap the circuit board when they get one in (i really like the sound of the SB, very growly)

As for fit, the ASB2's are a couple of mm too small all round, but it still looks quite neat.

19. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    The bass cost me £400.00

and i got the pickups and eq for about £250

so thats about £650 all together

............ I'll post some pictures after xmas.

I'm still deciding on a trans black finish and monorails.

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried mine with a NE-1, and while it increased the level it was still pretty weak. I replaced the preamp with a Bartolini hr-4.6 preamp/wiring harness, and it sounds great, even with the stock pickups.

Here is a link to the harness on the Bartolini web site:

Bart hr-4.6

It drops right in the existing holes, you just have to replace the output jack that comes on the harness with the one that is on the bass. I got mine for $170 at Bass Northwest.

With a good preamp, the Toby Pro is an excellent bass. That is mine in my avatar.